How long until venlafaxine begins to work on my low mood?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been on 300 mg Venlafaxine prolonged release capsules for 2 weeks now. I was feeling an improvement last week, but have felt severely depressed for three days now. I'm feeling incredibly hopeless, and really not in a good place. I don't want to give up on the drugs, so would anyone have any advice on when they'll start to work properly? 

Thanks 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chloe

I'm probably not the best person to give advice on this as I'm desperately trying to come off venlafaxine.

There are such lovely people on this forum who have a ton of experience and advise.

But I was wondering if something set you back. It could be someone or something or even alcohol that caused you to fall into a low mood since taking your medication?

• Posted

Hi Sara. How are you doing getting of the Ven? I took my last dose, after tapering off VERY slowly, about a month ago. Now in a serious depression and wondering if I should start taking it again. I don't want to start again, and in my past experience, once I have stopped an Antidepressant, it no longer works. Hope you are doing okay?

• Posted

Hi Sara 

Sorry to hear that you're trying to come off venlafaxine. How come you're coming off it, if you don't mind me asking? 

Nothing has happened that would signify a fall in my mood, which is what is so frustrating. I don't drink alcohol at all, and I've not changed my diet or anything so there's not really any factors other than myself that's the cause of the low mood. Very frustrating! 

Good luck coming off venlafaxine smile 

• Posted

Hi there. You shoud start feeling better soon. I would estimate 2 or 3 weeks.
    • Posted

Thanks Elizabeth, that's really good to hear. I suppose I'm probably quite impatient, and need to learn that these things take some time!

• Posted

Chloe, tha is completely understandable! Depression is horrible, and we just want it to be over!
  • Posted

That's an unwelcome but "normal" temporary side effect, if it gets too bad see your doctor.   Myself, I went through 4-5 weeks of various side effects and for me (having been on every anti depressant under the sun) Venlafaxine has totally changed my life smile   Clear headed, zero depression, zero anxiety and I'm motivated again.

• Posted

My psychiatrist warned me that recovery from depression will rarely be smooth, it will include better phases and less good phases. So just because you are feeling worse at the moment, it doesn't mean that the medication isn't working. Over the weeks, the good phases will get longer and the less good phases will get better. Tell yourself that things are improving gradually, and that will continue, even of it is two steps forward and half a step back.

• Posted

Improvements will start coming in gradually over the next month or two. Hang in there. That said, as someone already mentioned, ups and downs will go in waves for a while. Think months. Hope it does for you what it has done for me. I am grateful for this medicine. It pulled me through.
  • Posted

I've had major depression for 4 months and I found it took a good 12 weeks. Still not 100%, but the fact that I've have some really good days is keeping me going. Hang on in there. It takes time.... x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.