How long was your hospital stay for laparoscopy?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

In about two weeks I will be having my 13.1cm simple ovarian cyst removed. Surgeon said that they will remove it via laparoscopy, but if they cannot successfully do that they will perform a laparotomy, however he said that it was unlikely they would have to do that.

I was under the impression that the laparoscopy was just a day surgery, however the surgeon and gynecology team told me I would be in hospital for 2-3 days. And obviously if they have to perform a laparotomy it will be a longer stay.

I'm wondering how long did you have to stay in hospital after your surgery? And how your recovery?

Many thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I personally had the laparotomy so was in for 4 days. The ladies who had the laparoscopy only seemed to be in a day.

Can't tell you much about the recovery having had the laparotomy but I was led to believe it was around 2 weeks for keyhole. Have some peppermint tea on hand though a lot of them seemed to suffer with bad trapped wind.

Good luck x

• Posted

Hello,

I had a large (36cm) ovarian cyst removed 4 weeks ago along with my right ovary via laparotomy. I had my op on the Sunday and was discharged from the hospital on the Tuesday.

Recovery time is usually advised of around 5-6 weeks. But I have heard for laparoscopy usually 1-2 days in hospital and 2 weeks recovery.

Hope everything goes ok and you have a speedy recovery. Take care. Xx

• Posted

I had a 9 cm cyst removed by lapascopic surgery. I was supposed to go home later that day but I as kept cause she had to make my incision at my belly button a little bigger. I was up walking as soon as I was in a room. I never had to take any pain meds after coming home except ibuprofen. Good luck!!
  • Posted

Hey Danielle,

I had a 11x10x10cm dermoid cyst and my right ovary removed by laparoscopy surgery... 3 incisions the one on my pubic bone being a little bit bigger. I was in hospital for 3 days because I suffered with bad trapped wind around my shoulder. They also thought I had an infection under my skin where they'd blew me up, but in fact it was just bruising! I was in a lot of pain so I was on tramadol when I went home ! But everyone is different babe ! Hope all goes well xx good luck 😘 Xxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.