how long were waiting time/lists for your hip replacement

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi l am very new to the forum. l've been reading all the discussions on here, l've gotton some really

good advice thanks. I am waiting for my operation and wondered how long l'd possibly have to wait?

My Consultant says l need it asap, that was 4 weeks ago. I live in the North East of England, l realise

NHS lists variey across the UK. However I am off work atm and understand recovery is 6 weeks.

l'm very anxious about being off work so long, hope anyone can give me some idea please

margi

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Margin, I am 48 and 10 weeks post op. As I typically work from home and visit clients I was able to start replying to emails after 10 days, but sitting down fat my desk for any more than 20 minutes at this stage left me sore and tired. From week 2 until week 6 I was increasing my time at the desk but found that I couldn't really concentrate on anything for too long.  After week 6 I went back to working full days but needed several breaks to stretch and rest as I was still tired.  At week 8 I started attending meetings in London again (a 60 minute commute) and found that the travel left me exhausted, this has improved over the last 2weeks but I had back to back meetings in London and Slough last week which went fine but still left me very tired.

All in all, I'd say that if you have an office type job then you could probably do a reasonable full days work after 6 weeks, but if your work involves physical activity it may be a lot longer before you are ready.

• Posted

Thats great  thanks, you have explained to me everything l was wondering about.

l work in a School 11- 16 (Academy)  l have to walk / be on my feet a lot of the day (shared rooms for teaching) l was wondering how l'd possibly manage . At the moment l'm off sick because l physically can't walk for more than 10mins as the pain is so bad, hopfully l will get my operation soon .pleased you're getting better smile

• Posted

48 and a teacher too. Deputy head, lots of walking around the site.

Op is 16th June, giving the last 5 weeks and the summer hold to recover

• Posted

Fred..that should just about do it if you don't have any complications....my 10 th week now and hoping to be back at work in 2... in education too but for an LA...you might have to have 'light duties' at first !!

Chris

• Posted

Can't stress enough the importance of finding a good surgeon with a proven track record..

I had mine done at the well respected Wrightington hospital,but have still never met or heard from the surgeon who did my op,pretty appalling treatment IMO.

11 weeks in and I still have groin pain and can't put my full weight on the joint,and actually pulled something getting out of the car today with excruciating pain afterwards and haven't moved from my recliner all day.

hopefullly a few days rest and it will be ok.

IF I ever decide to have my other hip done I m going private,then at least you can choose your own surgeon with a proven track record and you might even get to meet him !!

• Posted

My wife has been waiting for over a year with a partially collapsed hip. The NHS in Wales is shocking.
    • Posted

Hi I went to Wrightington and found my experience outstanding from pre op to discharge my consultant came to meet me before the op , said O had gone private which my mother did at whally range bupa and cost 26'000 pounds she was not as good as me no pain from day one no pain killers !! Week four no crutches no pain week six feeling great ! We are all different every staff at Wrightington couldn't have done any better Regards Sandra xx
    • Posted

Hi Sandra.

I had my op at Wrightington done on a Friday ..arrived at 7am..at 11am an anaesthetist came and told the four of us who we're awaiting ops that they were probably not going to be able to operate that day,but to wait.

Eventually at 12.30 I was taken to theatre and the op was done that day.

I have no complaints about the ward staff,who were excellent.

However as I said I've never seen or spoken to the surgeon who supposedly did my op..Maybe my designated surgeon was unavailable the day of my op and another surgeon did it,I just don't know.

I was discharged on the Monday at the say of the ward sister,without seeing a consultant.

It doesn't really matter though,because after 6mnths now my outcome has been good..but at the time it did add to the usual post op stress and worry.

Ive read that a private THR is around £12k but not sure..either way I can't really afford it,so will probably use the NHS again for my next one.

I would still go to Wrightington,but this time insist on speaking to the actual surgeon doing my op.

• Posted

I'm lucky enough to have BUPA cover and chose my date for the op...so didn't wait at all once I had made the decision. I went to the Beaumont in Bolton and everything was absolutely excellent, surgeon spent about 20 mins with me pre op..although I'd seen him twice for pre op consultations. Anaesthetist spent a good half hour discussing options...aftercare was superb, food great, even visitors got refreshements....Sky TV, private shower room, only in 3 days but saw the physio each day. I had four hydrotherapy sessions and two other physio sessions in the 6/8 weeks following. 6 weeks review and 12 weeks with surgeon..just waiting for my 6 month one in a few weeks...totally satisfied with the whole process.

Only downside was that NHS would not supply any aids so I had to buy my own...even crutches!! Bought mostly on ebay so no big deal!

• Posted

Hi Chris..

Im not for one minute criticising our NHS,which on the who

e do a great job..but obviously going private is a big advantage in that you can choose your surgeon and op date.

With the NHS you can choose your hospital,but not your surgeon..I think my originaly intended was changed at the last minute,which is probably why I never saw anybody..

For my next replacement I'm going to make a big effort to try and get the surgeon I want,I have a list of names haha.

I have heard of people having their replacement done at the Beaumont under the NHS,although the extras you mention..Skytv,gourmet food, wouldn't really bother me for what would hopefully only be a 2day stay.

As I said the nursing staff at Wrightington were great.

Glad to hear you to have made a good recovery..

Hoping to have my other hip done next year,but TBH I'm really not looking forward to it now I know what's coming..Hmmmm..even though I know it's worth the short term discomfort.

• Posted

I think my surgeon works at Wrightington too...Gordon Shepard......I need the other hip doing too at some point but hoping it might last another year or two!!

Love the 'sculpture' outside Wrightington which I didn't realise was a hip joint till someone pointed it out!! 

• Posted

You could be right..most surgeons although based in one particular hospital seem to move around a lot..which lead me to think the surgeon scheduled to do mine wasnt the one who did the op..

Wrightington have around 40 surgeons on their books,so they must obviously move around and do private work too.

As I said with the NHS you can never be certain who will do your surgery.

Im afraid my other hip won't last more than another six months,but if the outcome is as good as my recent one I'll be very happy..

When I think back to last year I could hardly walk more than 100yds without having to stop and rest the old hip,so whoever did the op actually did an excellent job,I should really try and find out who did it..

Strangely my unoperated hip has worsened a lot since having my first replacement..it can only be down to my arthritis I think..has yours worsened as well?

• Posted

My left is not nearly as bad as my right had got...probably a couple of years behind...even though apparently on the xrays it looks worse!

I've lost loads of weight which has made a real difference too...hoping it lasts out till I finish work next year!

• Posted

Hope it lasts out for you too.

Both my hip joints looked like what I can only describe as porridge on the X-rays,you couldn't actually see any bones at all!

The new hip is crystal clear now on the X-ray.

Hope you have plenty of plans ready for your retirement..

I'm now 65,so officially retired,but for my own self esteem I still do a few days self employed work,which has helped in my recovery..don't know why but I just can't stand sitting around,if that makes sense ha..Think I would go crazy with nowt to do..

• Posted

Hi paulus I'm sure you can request to see the surgeon , before your op or his reg , recently they have head hunted two surgeons for Wrightington , It is the best in the country for THR , my son in law is anaesthetist and says they have the best surgeons in the country !! Wish you luck on you next THR regards Sandra 
    • Posted

Just had a consultation @ Wrightington with the surgeon who I thought did my previous THR..

Turns out one of his colleagues from Stoke actually did the op,which was on a Friday, explains why I never saw him prior to being discharged. I do appreciate you can't nominate your surgeon

I'm not complaining though as the outcome was eventually very good.

Should hopefully be having RTHR before Christmas.

Rhonda according to NHS guidelines your op should be within 18wks of your 1st consultation..

My 1st op was 12wks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.