How long were you in a cast?

Posted , 9 users are following.

So I got my cast on the other day and I was told, see you in a month. I was hoping that was a sign I would only have it on for 4 weeks. Probably just wishful thinking. How long were you in a cast?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Can I ask what you have had done? All depends on the op. I've had an ankle fusion so 6wks in a cast and 8wks in a boot. Xx

• Posted

I dislocated my ankle and broke my tibia, fibula and talus. I have plates and screws in.
    • Posted

This is really just a general update after my triple fusion ankle operation on June l9th.   I was seven weeks in a fibreglass cast which I didn't remove.  Then I was given the dreaded pneumatic boot which very quickly rubbished my pelvis from the uneven gait, the surgeon having done nothing to warn me.  I got the Evenup overshoe which helped but, because my other ankle is so weak (it needs a triple fusion too)it slipped around and  I was still crippled in my lower back.  Yesterday I managed to see a nice, bright young physiotherapist who confirmed that my sacroiliac joint and gluteus maximus were very sore….. That is the bad news, the good being that the fused ankle is brilliant, swollen but not painful and feels as solid as a rock..    So I walked out in big supporting sandals and promised to take it steady but not to wear the boot!  Lots of exercises to do to try to rectify the pelvic damage.

I have a whole lot of exercises to try to put my pelvis back into some sort of shape.  

• Posted

Hi Penny, your story is so similar to mine. I had a double ankle fusion & need my other one done also. The wear & tear of hobbling around on one leg had made that ankle even worse & my knees are a mess. They also did an arch reconstruction which my other foot needs that also. I'm only at 5 1/2 weeks so you're  way ahead of me. I really hope mine is as successful as yours without all the problems you incurred from the boot. I'm still non weight baring but thank God for this forum which is where I learned about the even up shoe which I've purchased for when I start partial weight baring. Are you at full weight baring yet? I'd like to follow your progress to gauge where I'm at. Good luck with the rest of this journey. 

Barb

• Posted

Hi, Barb,

I am indeed fully weight bearing and the operated ankle feels 'normal' really in comparison to the other one which is creaky.  It was always slightly better than the operated on one but, because it has taken more weight all these weeks, I guess, is going to be more sore.   I just have to wait a year before it can be done.   I promised the physio that I would take no risks, i.e behave as though I had the boot on, with no driving and no risky surfaces.  I see the surgeon again on September 5th, to be signed off… so not long!   Meantime I have to try to get my pelvis back into some sort of shape because it has been so stiff and rigid since wearing the boot that I don't walk as well as I should be able to do - but I won't take any painkillers so as not to mask any problem with the ankle.  My decision - the medics are really not very good about pain management.  I somehow feel that we will all get totally addicted if they had their way!

• Posted

I'm kind of getting really concerned. Up until Tuesday , I was still having a lot of pain in my subtaler joint & Wednesday afternoon was the first time in five weeks it died down some. It came back today with a vengeance. I woke up this morning with pain all around my ankle & my ankle was so swollen, especially on top of my foot. I shouldn't be having pain at this stage. I will have six weeks in on Wednesday. I'm scared thinking I may have to have more surgery to get the screws out. I don't see the surgeon again until September 19th as he's on vacation. Oh how I pray it goes away. 

• Posted

Hi Suze, I was in my first plaster cast for 2weeks then into a second cast for 4weeks. Then cast number 3 for another 4 weeks. Then into a boot for. 4weeks. With partial weight barring with crutches. As soon as I got told I could loose the boot, I could start to walk with the intention of getting rid of the crutches ASAP. Took me another few weeks. I'm now going into week. 20, and walking without aids but have quite a bad limp. Pain is still there but manageable, also still getting some swelling. I had plates and screws both side of my ankle also a bad dislocation. It's been a very long hard struggle, but at long last can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully you won't have the same journey and will soon be up and about. Sx

• Posted

Ouch ... such a long recovery. What Happened to you? 
    • Posted

Yes seems like a life time. really bad yesterday and again today as ive done more walking than normal, but not that much....sad  I have been waiting to go in for operation on m knee. The morning of my fallI had received the letter for me to go for my pre assessment appt. Then had my fall. I stepped over a barrier about 1 1/2 ft high, and didnt lift my bad leg high enough and caught my foot on the barrier. Went down on my knee and my foot was still on top of the barrier. No cuts or marks to my knee, but when i lifted my foot off could see it was dislocated, pushed it back into shape myself, not really thinking about what i was doing.  waited for ambulance for over 3 hrs while all the time laying on the car park floor.  In the end i phoned for my daughters to come and get me They live 22 miles away and still got there before the ambulance. total nightmare. Had to wait 9 days before they would operate because of swelling. But each day i was in hospital they told me that i would be going to theatre. so washed and gowned every morning only to get told by the afternoon that they wouldnt be doing the op!!!  Its been one hell of a journey and still going through it. Now have to have the knee operated on as its got really bad and painful so  now have to start it all over again.....pass me the gun!!frown  sx
  • Posted

Stitches out and cast on at 13 days. Cast off at five weeks (3 wks with it on). 

I had clean breaks in tibia, fibula, and talus of right ankle.  Plate and nine screws. 

Im in a boot until week seven then I start partial weight bearing.  At week ten I should be full weight bearing but the doctor wants me to wear my boot until week twelve then I can drive.  I also wear the boot in bed. 

I was very nervous the first week without the cast but the more I did ankle stretching exercises I got braver. The second week I'm taking my boot off more and even slightly standing on the bad foot. No weight, just slight pressure. Feels like pins and needles so I'm hoping to desensitize it before I actually walk next week. Nervous about that 😯

• Posted

Hi Susie,

I've been in my cast going on 6 weeks it comes off this Wednesday and I couldn't be happier! I want to wash my foot there is so much dry skin and it smells to me! I feel so icky but yeah this is going on 6 weeks for me!

Speedy recovery

Danette

• Posted

I was in a partial cast for four weeks & week five I was given the option to have a full cast or a boot. The Surgeon said they do the same thing but I'd have to wear it 24 hours a day. I chose the boot of course as I can remove it to ice & wipe my foot down. I also had a three inch external nail removed yesterday & was told I didn't have to wear the boot to bed anymore but still non weight bearing for four more weeks then I can partial weight bare & start Physio. There may actually be a light at the end of this tunnel. 

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies. Sounds like at least hollaween before I can think of walking. 😞 Right now I have no real ankle pain but the cast rubbing on the incisions hurts. My biggest concern is I am diabetic and I can't see or inspect the incision sight to make sure it isn't getting infected from the rubbing.

• Posted

The biggest thing I found as far as discomfort and being able to remove the fixed boot to bath and see what was going on was the incisions. As they start to scab up they got really uncomfortable as they started to chunk off and rub. Also the sterile strips as they started to come off would bunch up and rub on the wound.

I don't know how your surgeons office is but mine (when I got the cast in) said that if I had discomfort or concern they would be happy to remove, air out clean up and redo it every week if I wanted. After checking with my insurance it would of all been covered as post op so I would definitely check I to that.

• Posted

I was only in my cast for about 6 hours before they took it off. Long story but basically went from splint and wrap to cast to boot in the same day. Can't tell you how thankful I am for that with the temps we have had here this summer. Still full no weight bearing and get Xrays on the 5th to see about going weight bearing and starting PT with a goal to be back walking normally by beginning of November. Doc is really trying to get me on track for my vacation in December that has been planned for 3 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.