How long will hrt take to kick in?

Posted , 3 users are following.

After months and months of absolutely dreadful hot flushes and night sweats, I bit the bullet and asked the Doc for hrt. He prescribed ellestte duet 1m and when I got over the shock at being charged for double prescription for the tablets I read all info, weighed up all Pro's and cons and took my first tablet. Only on my third day and feeling so much worse. I now feel sick and headaches have become worse. My head is foggy and feel really down in the dumps. Please tell me this gets worse before it gets better. Haven't had a period since September and now full of dread that im gonna get them back, probably when I least expect it. I just want my life back but don't want to risk hrt if it's not going to work. 😖

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anita same here I'm on HRT and it has been hard to go on something like this,my Dr put me on a low dose and have been taking it for 3 weeks and it started off OK hot flashes die down now it looks like it stop working it can take up to 3 months to feel the full benefits I'm not sure if to stop it because you can get blood clot and boy scares me if it is making you worst you will have to stop it I have not had a period either only 1 day bleed for the test I don't want them myself to return now I'm heading into menopause and that what HRT can do I heard give you few bleeds we both I'm the same boat.
    • Posted

It's awful isn't it.. I to am scared of the risks but hope everything is going to get better. If after the three months tablets it hasn't changed then I might come off them and go it alone. 😏
  • Posted

HI Anita,

I would contact my doctor if I were you, your symptoms sound worse, I was put on something similar but I'm in States, and my symptoms got better after a few days. Yes, you will probably start getting your period, but it's only worth it you're taking the right medicine. Doesn't sound as if it's the right now for you.

• Posted

oops, typo.. as if it's the right ONE for you.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I think I will get the first month out of the way and see how I'm doing. If still not improved then will make appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.