How long will I be in pain?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went to see my GP this morning as I am not getting any relieve from the pain of my fibromyalgia and very very little sleep  I am constantly exhausted and my IBS is flaring up terribly   He increased my Amitripylene to 50mg and gave me Ibrupfen to take alongside my paracetomol   I am already taking tablets for my IBS   As I was leaving he commented that I will be ok soon???   I asked him what he meant - and he said that FMS should not take too long to pass as I am a strong personality   This has confused me somewhat?   I was only diagnosed about four weeks ago though have been suffering the symptoms longer - and assumed that this would be with me for some time??  Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?   Will this pass quickly?  Has it for anyone else in the forum?  Thanks  

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wendy, everyone is different and we all have varying symptoms and degrees of fibro. Some do recover and others have periods of remission; then some of us have it for years. Your GP is confusing you as he is trying to be positive for you. Research has shown that those with fibro who remain positive, have less severe symptoms- but that's research for you. I think we all try to be positive. It's also doctor speak. Another expression used is "I know you will do very well on this". Ibuprofen has been shown to have little or no effect as fibromyalgia is not an inflammatory condition. It may help with the pain when combined with paracetamol but often we need something a lot stronger like pregabalin, duloxetine and amitryptilline.

Caroline

• Posted

As Caroline has said, its probably your doctor trying to keep you positive.  Many of the symptoms of fibro are successfully relieved by reducing stress and anxiety.  Fibro is an immune system issue and sadly anti inflammatories arent therefore very affective.  paracetamol is helpful but take care not to take too many.  Some stronger opiates are good painkillers (eg tramadol) but have nasty effects and can be addictive so should be avoided if possible.  Try meditation, CBT, yoga, gentle swimming, etc., all of which give excellent results.
  • Posted

Hi. Loxie had highlighted other good ways to help with fibromyalgia. It is really a question of trying different avenues to see what works best for you. Is it the pain which is keeping you awake more or are you generally awake because of insomnia?

Caroline

• Posted

Hi Caroline  My GP did said that he didnt want to give me stronger painkillers such as opiates as they are addictive so I will contnue on with the paracetomol for now   It is insomnia keeping me awake - well that and the restless legs   My pain is definitely worsening though but them I have been dealing with family members this week who like to drop their problems as my door   I need to learn to avoid stress and will attempt Loxies ideas of attempting yoga   Cant swim I am afraid but have learned that hot deep baths do relieve the pains for a while.  Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.... 
    • Posted

Your GP sounds very old fashioned and not dynamic. I have been on tramadol now for over 2 years and have it on repeat prescription. I take it when muscles are deeply aching and I'm certainly not addicted to it. Some people are on fentanyl patches and fentanyl is over 70 times stronger than morphine! I hope you are able to find something to help you. Pain is do debilitating and you need a GP who is forward thinking and willing to help you.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply Caroline   He did increase my Amitripylene today from 25 to 50 and hopefully this will aid my sleep but not sure it is doing anything for my pain   I am due back to him in two weeks so if I have to push for better pain control then I will   Thanks for boosting my confidence  Think I suffer from "white coat syndrome" 
  • Posted

thats a stupid comment iv had it over ten yrs and some have had 20yrs plus ,

his just parinising you by the sound of it . 

you will have  peaks and troughs your getter better times and proberly worse times sorry dont me to be negative just truthful unlike your gp , if you want more better times than stress and worry are your enemy by getting to grip with this could improve your lot by at least 50% .

the only people iv heard of as recovered are people who have done the amygdala retraining programme .or have been able to remove all stress both are tough to do .. by the way just a thought if you are drinking or eating any products with Aspartame in bin them it makes symptoms worse as does to much sugar . .

• Posted

I felt he was treating it like it was something that I had control over and I really dont feel as though I do.  I dont imagine that I can delete the stress or worry from my life as having lost both parents recently I seem to have become the "Go To Guy" for the rest of my family, though I do try to avoid taking too much of everyone elses problems on board - I will check out what foods contain Aspartame and avoid these where possible  Thanks as usual Tiswas for the wise words but I do wonder how much help my GP will be to me should I need to claim PIP in the future  Wendy x
    • Posted

me to hun.

look up complex regional pain syndrome on the NHS choices page . it has some very interesting clear info .maybe your doctor needs to read it .

iv printed it of to use for information for the person i get to fill out my form in june . wink

• Posted

Have you tried any antihistamines? I don't know anything of fibromyalgia but about I found out by chance that for me the best pain killer is antihistamine. I had a sinusitis problem while recovering from a surgery and was prescribed a drug that had pseudoefedrine. Some antihistamine you get without a prespriction. I think there are 1-/45 or so different classes of antihistamine and normally only 3-5 (or 4-5) have pain killing effect but for me the "milder" antihistamines work.

There is some discssion it the web about this related to arthiritc pain so it is not only me who has it discovered. biggrin

I wish you best of luck. I hope you keep positive because that way you are more likely to keep on pushing to finding the things that will help you.

• Posted

antihistamines long term can cause heart problems so iv been told .sad
    • Posted

Good thought Heidi - I take piriton late at night and it really helps me sleep, it actually says on the package that it may make you drowsy !  It does help also to relieve my overnight pain and I don't wake up in quite so much agony in the morning if I take it.  Long term use of any otc meds is not advisable but short term relief is worth it.
    • Posted

good note that.

and I think the effect of antihistamin wears down if used long term. but worth trying if bad sleep problems.

• Posted

As a very weird tip for pain management is to sleep with someone tightly back to back. Someone who sleeps well. My back pain and knee pains went away couple of times sleeping like this. Don't ask me why. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

Also when I had the flu, I found out it was easier to breathe in the cold air outside (few minus degrees) so what I did was to dress up real warm from head to toe and sleep with the window open. I slept really well. Like babies do outside.

I think that might have something to do with the body's temperature dropping naturally when after you have fallen asleep. It helps the brain somehow to shut down the connection from the body. Or the body shuts down a little bit and the brain gets not so many impulses and can go better in sleep when it is not "disturbed". Also then maybe the muscles can relax better during sleep because the brain does not signal back to them so much. So when your are breathing in the cold air, it cools you down nicely but you still keep warm because of the clothes.

Another tip, that helps me sometimes, is to sleep shorter sleeps. I feel better in muscles and in the back sometimes after sleeping only four to six hours compared to the weekend sleep ins.

I don't know if any of these would help you to at least sleep better. But worth a try. Good sleep is what helps the body the best. Bad quality sleep as such can make you aching. At least it that goes for me. So trying things related to "sleep hygieny" are perhaps worth trying. They won't take the problem away but maybe help little bit.

I hope you get it better, and sooner than later at that too. : )

• Posted

Lets just say I've got a strong personality but Fibromyalgia & ME/CFS have been my condition for 23 yrs. If only it would take strong personality to make it go away rolleyesx
    • Posted

i have said that many times . if only determination and effort would aid us to a cure so many of us would be well .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.