How long will I have a limp after trimalleolar

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey y’all, 

I have had a trimalleolar fracture with dislocation that required surgery on may 30. I had surgery 11 weeks ago. My question is, how long did y’all limp? I have a terrible limp and it hurts pretty bad to walk with the boot on. The pain didn’t seem too bad a week ago, but I made a quick spur of the moment trip to Nashville. That was a 4 hour drive for me and then I did lots of walking and standing for approximately 6+ hours to attend a concert. Could this be the reason for the pain? Because I haven’t really had any pain while trying walk, but I also  haven’t walked as much as I have these past few days. My ankle bone on the inside is SO SORE! It’s crazy; it hurts to put a sock on. How long will I limp and will it hurt to walk?  Uh, thanks for any responses...I’m 20 and I’m freaking out because I don’t want to have a limobfor the rest of my life or it hurt to walk

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You probably overdid it it sounds like. It could take several days to recover after overusing your leg. Take it slow and I know It is hard, you want to get up and run. But I doubt you’ll have a limp forever. You just need to be patient and let this heal. I’ve heard it can take six months to a year to get back to normal so just pay attention to the pain, it is a message to take it easy.  Best of luck!
  • Posted

Hey, do you still have swelling? Even a little bit of pain causes the limp in my experience. I'm 21 and had a terrible ankle sprain back in April. My limp is almost 70% gone now according to my phsio but it still feels weird to walk normally.

• Posted

Oh my gosh yes! I have tons of swelling even when I haven’t been up on it. It’s crazy and so annoying. I think the pain for me is when I try to move it in order to walk, I have like no motion still. I completely understand what your going through though! I actually sprained my other ankle pretty bad a few years ago and it required surgery. Ankle sprains are terrible to deal with and the swelling tended to linger for awhile with mine. 
    • Posted

swelling lasted well over a year for me- I am now 2 years out and virtually no swelling.  The pain lasted too long- I had hardware out at 9 mos due to continued pain.  It helped some for sure.  I have sprained my ankle twice since having the hardware out and recently broke my other ankle - a bimalleolar fx with a clean break in the fibula up near my knee too!

• Posted

For how many months did you have to limp after that sprain? My swelling has reduced a lot but this limp is irritating. sad
    • Posted

I’m pretty sure i limped for about a month to a month&half. My PT told me that what makes you limp is either that it hurts to walk or you don’t have your full range of motion back yet. Maybe you don’t have all the motion back in your ankle yet. I hope you get better

• Posted

Bless you! You have had so much trouble with your ankles! I have thought about hardware removal already, because when I invert my ankle it hurts in one spot pretty bad and I’m thinking it’s one of the eleven screws I have LOL! I have seen an improvement in my swelling just in the last week! Yay! 
    • Posted

Yeah I guess it has something to do with range of motion. I hope you get better too. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.