How long will I wait.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Went for my pre-op a couple of weeks ago. Everybody was very helpful and professional, but could not answer one question - how long must I wait for my THR operation ????

With Christmas coming up - followed by a host of weddings and christenings a date would be really useful.

The pre-op screened me for MRSA and probably many other diseases and if they leave too long the results would out of date and useless.

So can anybody the usual delay between pre-op and operation.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi John.....

I would guess it depends where you are.

A friend in the UK waited a further 7 months and had to undergo a further pre op again !

sorry I cant be more helpful 😃

• Posted

Hiya John 😁

I'm in East Yorkshire and I waited only 4 weeks after my pre op, 😊

Good luck with your op when it's time, hope ya get in there soon, then ya can enjoy 2019 yep....

Pete

• Posted

I am in uk .i am due for pre op on 18th dec and op booked for 5th jan for my right hip ,my left was done a year ago .

i think it depends on area waiting lists to be honest and maybe how urgent it is .

• Posted

Hi John

Had my THR done last November (17th) in Nottingham UK. My pre-op was done on 26th October and I was told that if the main op was delayed or postponed beyond 30 days I would have to go for another pre-op screening as the results would not be valid.

My understanding was that I only got called for the pre-op because my main op date was already planned.

Seems a bit of a waste of resources if you don't already have a date and they are spending time and effort to run screening tests that may have to be repeated.

I guess all the NHS trusts in the |UK may have different strategies. Hope you get your date soon

• Posted

HI John

I waited three weeks after the pre -op, I guess it depends on where you live, I'm in London UK. Good luck with it all.

• Posted

I waited ten weeks from my pre-op on the NHS. I was told if it were more than 12 weeks I would need another pre-op. I was offered to go on a special waiting list of people who had dropped out and I could take their place, although I never was given the opportunity.

• Posted

Hi John,

I would ring up the surgeon's secretary, she can give you a date, she will have the surgeon's operating lists. If she does not the first time ring again in a week or two. I am in North Wales, from seeing the consultant to op was about 6/7 weeks, I was lucky.

• Posted

i have pre op on JAN 10th with thr on JAN 22nd

the op is usually quite soon after the pre op so hopefully you will have a date soon

• Posted

I had my preassement on the 21st Nov I'm still waiting for joint clinic like you I am worried that if they .leave it much longer my assement will be no good I guess with Christmas it won't be till after new year when I phoned was told it would be after next April my doctor then wrote to them that why I had my assement but nothing since and they couldn't answer my question either about my op date here hoping we won't be waiting to much longer good luck

• Posted

I could not get any date out of them after my pre op either, I just got a letter one day giving me the date. I really think it is so stupid giving people a pre op then having to do another one. Surely it is not that complicated to schedule.

• Posted

I had my pre op on Oct 12, was originally supposed to be September 21st, my op was Nov 6th. Do give the surgeon's secretary a ring. If you don't know the number, ring the hospital switchboard and ask to be put through. Explain your circumstances and I'm sure you'll be offered a date that will suit you. Good luck!

• Posted

After all the waiting and wondering about the date of my THR I received a phone call from the hospital this afternoon offering me next thursday. I guess it was a cancellation but who cares. That means that hopefully I will be discharged on Christmas Eve and celebrating next day with a warm glass of milk in my own bed. Thank you so much for all your contributions, they kept me sane. A Happy Christmas to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.