How long will it take Celexa to help my anxiety fully?...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys..I have been on Ativn for a year and a half. My dr. wants me off it. I take Celexa and i also have been weening off the Ativin (was taking .05 mgs three times a day,now down to twice a day for two weeks then down to once a day for two weeks to clear off it)..My question is: Im taking 10 mgs of Celexa ,have been for almost 4 weeks now.. The first two weeks not much difference while i was waiting for it to get into my system. The third week i noticed it was easing my Anxitey a bit and into my fourth week(this week,3 days shy of four weeks),i have noticed my Anxiety has shown it head again. My dr. is away till the 22nd of this month. Have i waited long enough for this to get fully in my system? Do i need to up the dose when she gets back?.Or is Anxiety days part of the prosses?..Thanks to all tjat respond,i do appreciate it~Stewie~

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It can take up to six weeks and it's not unusual for your mood to take a dip somewhere during that period
  • Posted

Hi Stewie! I just started on Citalopram (Celexa) also, I was on 10mg once daily for the first week and now I've been upped to 20mg for the last week. I am on .5 Ativan as needed which I break in half. Also, put me on Propanolol twice daily 10mg to help with palpitations. I'm praying for the Celexa to work ASAP and please keep me updated on your progress as I will mine. However, I have heard that it could take 4-6 weeks to fully start working though I'm praying mine will work sooner as its all controlling my life right now.

Best of luck smile

• Posted

Hi, I suffer with anxiety where I get an adrenalin rush and fears kick in. Heart goes mental and pounding hard. Will Citalopram help me until I can get this under control via a form of therapy.... ?

thanks smile

• Posted

I believe that citalopram is used as an anti depressant and also for panic attacks do it should help you with

your problems. It may be worth asking your GP to up your dose when you see him next. What therapy are

you having will it be CBT. Take care

• Posted

** Hello SB...That was fast to up you to 20 mgs in a week,wasnt it??,i dont know..lol..I have been taking the Atavan while taking Celexa just to get off the stuff. I only have Yawning as a side affect out of all of them,thats why im hoping this kiscks back in soon...I am taking 10 mgs a day of Lisinopril for High blood pressure,which i believe i dont need anymore,but it cant hurt i guess...Hang in there,the tuff times dont last to long im hoping for you! wink

** Mike...I cant tell you what works for you,your Dr. will have to do that everybodys different on these things. But tuff it out and get to a Dr, ..Hope you feel better soon ! smile

** Hi Mary,i really hate to up my meds if i dont have to,im praying it will be all i need is the 4-6 weeks before im good to go..Also,whats a CBT?..Thx wink

• Posted

Hi Mike it's cognitive behaviour therapy. It helps you deal with your problems by using tools to change your way of thinking and how you react to problems and look at underlying causes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.