How long will these 'blis' last?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on 20mg fluoxetine now for coming up 4 months and feel like I'm on an anxiety roller coaster.  I had a fabulous couple of week prior to this, now I am back to being  anxious and not sleeping again, this has been going on since Sunday!  I am scared that every time I have one its not going to go away and I'll end up back at square one.  I am also frightened to increase my dose due to side effects.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I know the feeling, I've been on 20mg for 5 months and the bouts of anxiety come and go. It is worse in the morning and does settle as the day goes on. Are you also struggling with lethargy? I'm also afraid of increasing dose

• Posted

This is normal and seems how the path recovery happens.  Don't worry, each time you get one of these low times it will pass eventually.  It's your body just levelling out and in time they will stop and you'll feel great all the time.  Try and ride each wave, let it be there, remind yourself that you're recovering, and in time they will stop.

Increasing your dose won't stop the waves.  You'll get them whatever dose you're on.  You can't hurry recovery - let it come to you in its own time - and it sound like it's happening already for you if you've had a great few weeks.  It'll come.

Early morning anxiety is a pain isn't it.  Often this doesn't mean how the rest of the day will pan out - I used to get that in the mornings and often by the end of the day I'd feel quite good.  Early morning anxiety was the last thing that disappeared for me.  It was great when I could eventually wake and feel all cosy without that anxiety hitting me in the face.  It'll go in time.

K xx

• Posted

Iv been on 20mg for 5 wks an started experiencing upper abdominal pain like in liver area an middle back pain like in kidney area (?) about 2 wks after starting. It has gotten worse as wks have gone by. Yesterday I could hardly stand the back pain. I know Fluoxetin is metabolized in liver an Im wondering if its raising liver enzymes or hurting kidneys. This happened to me on Zoloft to. Had to stop it was so sick. Anyone have this?
    • Posted

Hi Zio

Some people do get abdominal pain and I used to get indigestion which eventually wore off.  I junk its best you go back and see your doctor to get checked out xxxx

• Posted

Thank you for your replies.  How long can each blip last, this has been going on for 7 days now, worst blip yet since starting in October... .  Seems I have 1 good week, 1 OK week then a really crap week. Is this right after 4 months?  What worries me also is my psychiatrist said after 8 weeks you won't get anything more from a med unless you increase the dose....
    • Posted

There's no set time these blips last for - could be a few days, a week or a couple.......  Best thing is when you get them just let it be there, understand its part of recovery, know that'll it'll pass, try and go about your daily life in a calm manner ........ and in time you'll start to feel calmer, better.

The psychiatrist said you won't get any more benefit after 8 weeks?  Mmmmm........  I wonder if he has had this illness or taken the meds.  The meds don't have to be increased - eveyone is different and needs different doses.  You might need an increase, or you might not.  You need to let each dose settle well and truly before you can tell if you need to increase or not.

My son was on Fluoxetine after a melt down back in 2014.  He started the meds in the August and it was around May/June when he was better.  Along the way he also had blips which slowely petered out.  He's now fully recovered.  Everyone takes different times to recover, some quicker than others.

You will get there xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.