How long with these withdrawals last?

Posted , 3 users are following.

It has been 4 weeks since my last dose of amitriptyline. The first week off was horrid so nauseous, headaches, joint pains etc. I found I have been improving as time goes on. A week ago I was feeling pretty good the nausea was mild and I was feeling more like myself. For the past few days I have been very anxious and panicky. Now for the last 2 days in have been feeling super nauseous again having a hard time eating. Ugh is this normal?? I don't understand I thought I was getting better 😟😢

Has anyone else experienced this ? I was on 10mg for roughly 5.5 months.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes Tiffany for some it is normal, i experienced simular. I have been having anxiety again but not sure if this is amitriptyline related. Hang in there it does take time xxx
    • Posted

Thanks Amanda 😊 I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with anxiety have you tried acupuncture or meditation my friend swears by meditation I have tried but I can't turn my thoughts off lol. Maybe yoga?? I can deal with the anxiety and even the crying but this nausea is horrible. I was doing great for 2 weeks now it's practically like the first week of withdrawals again 😔 i hope this will pass today is day 35 the drug must be out of my system by now!

• Posted

Hi Tiffany, I have spent the last 6 months tapering off Amit, and have found that when I tapered by 5mg it was terrible for about a month. So bought a pill cutter and started tapering by 2.5mg and the worst of the side effects were over by the two week stage.

I took a 6 week break from tapering and felt great. So good, that on 24th April, tapered by 2.5mg, withdrawals kick in quickly with me, starts with crying, then dizziness, headaches, and extreme tiredness and no energy. Two weeks later felt better and tapered again by 2.5mg, got through the week which ended last Friday and because I was down to 5mg, I decided to taper by another 2.5mg. On Tuesday I ended up in the doctors as was tingling down right side of my body, turns out my blood pressure was so high that he gave me tablets and signed me off for rest of the week. In my experience dropping down too much or going cold turkey is worse for withdrawal and takes longer to recover. Just go with it it will improve. I have found having massages has helped. By the way i only took one blood pressure tablet, and my mum has a machine which shows me as normal. It always spikes when I am in withdrawal.

• Posted

Forgot to mention nausea it does go away.
    • Posted

Hi Paula,

Thank you for responding I really appreciate it. I took 45 days to taper off of 10mg dropping .2mg per night until I was off. The first 2 weeks of being completely off were pretty rough, daily headaches and bad nausea. Eventually though the headaches disappeared and the nausea was almost gone. But the last 10 days have been bad for nausea again sad Im so frustrated with this med. Just when i felt like I was getting better...nope!  Yesterday and today I am feeling a bit better the nausea is mild which is a nice change from the previous days. How long will this last...10mg for only 5.5 months seems like such a small amount of the med and time but i guess im just sensitive to it. Im now on day 40 of being off this drug i thought by now it would be over.

I hope you are improving every day smile

• Posted

Thank you Tiffany, I now have the joint pains you mentioned, and nerve pain, literally came on suddenly. Probably doesnt help with having no energy and not moving much. Forced myself to do a mile walk yesterday and had to sit down twice. That resulted in a massive headache and exhaustion. Am feeling positive though and know I will start feeling better soon. How are you feeling now?
  • Posted

How are you feeling today Tiffany, I hope the nausea has gone away.

I am so exhausted at the moment and struggle to be able to do anything, the tinnitus is bad and my nerve pain wont go away. Have tried stretching exercise which help for a bit, am wondering if its because I have spent best part of a week in bed, more than likely. Hope your having a good day.

• Posted

Hi Paula on have felt a bit better the last few days. Seems to come and go... hopefully I get a few more good days. I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing such bad nerve pain.😔 I hope things improve for you soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.