How long without meds before I feel lousy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been without my armour thyroid for nearly two weeks.  

Is this enough to make me feel lousy?  I am in so much pain today and so tired I can’t function.  

I picked up meds today.  How long until I feel better?

Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. Were you doing OK before you stopped the meds? If yes, then getting back on them should have you feeling better soon.

You mentioned pain. Can you say more about that? It’ not a typical symptom of hypothyroidism, as far as I know.

• Posted

I have fibromyalgia and arthritis.  I get achy when my thyroid is off.  I wasn’t feeling great before, but was still functioning.  

Thanks for the reply

• Posted

Yup, about two weeks without meds is when you feel horrible.

If the meds are working, I found the NDTs to help in 4 days or so. 

Why did you stop  the meds? Were you having a problem with them? Were they working? Too many side effects?

Take some phenylalanine and essential amino acid complex, multi mineral and multivitamin. Then soak in an epsom salts bath. If you still hurt, take some turmeric or an anti-inflammatory from the drug store. These should get you through the pain.

• Posted

My doctor wouldn’t give me a refill until I got in for an appointment.  In her defense I was over due, but i went for blood work and made the appointment.  They could have just given me a weeks worth to get me through, but wouldn’t.  Then when I finally got the script, the pharmacy didn’t have any in stock and had to order it.  

I’m annoyed at my doc and will likely be looking for a new one, but most docs around me will not prescribe armour.  

• Posted

Yes, all typical. Sorry you’re having such a difficult time.  I hated the whole being captive to doctor appointments for meds that if stopped suddenly cause a ton of problems. It wouldn’t have been so bad if I’d been able to get appointments in a timely manner. But for docs to say, ‘no I won’t  refill your prescription until you make an appointment, but I don't have any appoinments available for at least three weeks...’ is ridiculous and typical. 

A lot of people bypass the ridiculousness by using ThyroGold. It works quite well.

I take essential amino acid complex and phenylalanine because I got fed up with unreliable meds, horrible side effects and ineffective, time consuming doctors appointments. 

The amino acids aren't a perfect solution by far. But way better than dealing with the whole of the ridiculousness of the meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.