how low can it go and how quick can it drop

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my iron level is at 9 and my doc has booked me into the hospital in three weeks for a operation to stop the blood loss from my bottom I've been felling really low is it possible it could drop even more in three weeks the doc didn't give me iron replacement as he said there would be no point as i will just lose it again my periods have been coming of track like every two months so i could have one in this Time as I am 2 weeks over now could my iron drop much lower to like a dangerous stage as I wont be tested for at least a month if I don't hear back from the hospital I have an appointment with the doc in a month.i also had a blood transfusion over 8 years ago could i maybe have to have another after surgery

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Ausfem!

After the surgery, along with pain medication, they probably will give you iron pills since they know you lost a lot of blood. Call your doctor or the people at the hospital and ask if you will get iron pills after the surgery. But make sure you take vitamin C with it for it helps your body absorb iron. I think there is another vitamin that helps but not sure. While you wait, if you are worried, you can get the liquid iron over the counter and it should have all the vitamins that work to absorb iron included.

• Posted

Ok thanks I didn't know you could get over the counter iron intake I think my doc wants me not to have pills and such because it can make you constipated which will add to my problem my main concern is how low can my iron go between now and surgery if I cant take iron replacement because of side effects I think your right that I will probably get given pills after tho thanks
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your problems and I hope your operation is a success.

Last February my iron dipped so low my GP said it was below 1! Iron tablets give me dreadful diarrhoea so at my Gynaecological hospital appointment I was advised by a lovely young Registrar to try Spatone liquid iron supplement sachets. I bought my first lot from Holland and Barrett but since then have been buying from Amazon.

They are best taken in a vitamin c rich juice to help absorb the iron (and mask the vile taste). I take it now in a small amount of grapefruit juice.

I tried the sachets which say they contain apple juice to help with the flavour - I don't recommend it!

Also I took 2-3 sachets a day when trying to boost my levels.

• Posted

Thanks they sound awful but I will give them a try if needed as I hate the tablets and wow you must of been so weak with your level so low thanks for your help and I hope your levels ar

e now managed

• Posted

I think if you are losing enough blood it can drop. My ferritin went from 28 to 16 in less than six week.I think over nearly 12 months my ferritin levels had dropped quite quickly due to heavy periods. By the time my level was 28 I felt ill and by the time it was 16 I felt dreadful. I will add it dropped to this level even with taking over the counter iron supplements including spatone. I am now on ferrous fumerate and surprisingly tolerating them well. Without these I would not have started to improve and even with them it's a slow process.. hope you get sorted soon

• Posted

Hi! I've been chronically iron deficient and anemic for about 2 yrs now. My iron in January was 8 and ferretin was 3! So yeah I felt/feel awful. After a blood transfusion and 2 iron infusions my ferretin went up to 159 and iron went up to 40. I started feeling kind of normal. About 10 days later I started feeling terrible again. My ferretin had gone down to 74 and iron down to 32. My dr has ordered 2 more iron infusions for me. Your iron wI'll probably drop a little within the next 3 weeks if you are chronically losing blood. Without replacement it will not go up. So hopefully your dr monitors your ferretin (total stored iron) and iron over the next couple weeks. I'm sure they will replace you with an infusion once you have your surgery. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Thanks for your response xo my surgery I have been put on a waiting list for and need to see the doc in the next two weeks so I'm hoping it hasn't dropped to much as my bleeding has settled

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.