How many days in hospital...?

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hello Everyone:

Looking for some feedback on length of hospital stays post op.  My initial enquiry when I contacted my hospital of choice was "three nights."  Since then, and having read the various postings on the site, it appears that some patients are being kept in for several more days than that.

Does this depend upon age and general state of health?  I would think that this would certainly come into the equasion.  In my own case, I live alone, and have no outside help.  However, I am in general good health, other than the bad hip.  I am a very youthful 74 years of age, and have been taken for mid 50s!  Keep very active, and used to jog, but I know that post op, that is not recommended - high impact, is out!  GP states that I am healthy.

I cannot, and do not want, a prolonged hospital stay, but am aware, that my personal safety is the main issue.  Surely, there is some provision in the UK for outside help under these circumstances, even if it is just to check that a patient hasn't taken a fall at some point!

I have lived most of my life in the US, so am not too familiar with the UK system.  Any feedback on any of this would be very helpful and reassuring.

No family to speak of, and my daughter doesn't drive.  She works in Bath, and I am in Wiltshire.  She would be dependent upon her boyfriend, who lives in Bristol to bring her here!  So, not much help there, I am afraid.

Susie

2 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was booked in for 4 days, I could have been discharged after 3, but I had gastric problems, and a leaking wound, so I managed to be kept in for the full 4 nights.

The overriding factor in my hospital (in UK), was to be able to manage the stairs.

I am 63, and have a retired wife to assist with dressing etc at home.

The wound was still leaking, but  my surgery arranged to get a district nurse to come out and dress it for me - the foot-long wound was a bit much for my wife who is not normally squeamish about dressing cuts.

I think, like everything else about THR, the answer is "it depends".

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Good evening susie, i had my operation last friday and i was back in my own home by 6 on the monday. So just 4 days in total. Where i was if you lived alone you had to either make arrangements, or tell them anthey will arrange with social services. Good luck hun.
  • Posted

Hello Susie,

Your time in hospital will depend on your general health and fitness. The average is 2-4 nights. I am 62, generally fit and healthy and was discharged after 2 nights (NHS call it enhanced recovery i.e. do the walking, toilet, stairs etc.).

English hospitals are always short of beds and basically want "rid" as soon as possible. At the pre-op and also the 'hip school' before your operation, please make it VERY clear that you live alone; they should arrange daily help for you. No one should be left to fend for themselves after such a major operation. Also make sure you are asked the height of your favourite chair and the toilet seat. You will get a raised toilet seat if necessary.

I am 6 months post-op and doing just fine. Do not try to jog or run too soon! I want to ride my horse again but not too sure when.... he is very w-I-d-e.

Wishing you good luck and speedy recovery!

Warm wishes,

Alison

• Posted

I can see why riding a wide horse would be a problem, that's where my pain first showed up, riding our 'horse' - an enormous (2300cc) Triumph Rocket III motorcycle which we loved riding out on, we had to sell it as it was just too painful for me to ride.

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Hi Alison:

Many thanks for your feedback.

I know that UK hospitals want "rid" ASAP.  My daughter will not be able to be of much assistance as she is in Bath, and I am close to Bradford on Avon.  She doesn't drive.  

I am in good health in general, but of course, the hip problem has impacted pon what I am now able to do.  Judging from the researh I hav done, any high impact sport, such as jogging is out.  We are near the towpath, so that will probably be my beat" for a while.  I am quite a keen photographer, but that too has been put to a stop, because of my limited mobility.

My GP is very good, and I have been looking at the social services sites, etc.

Fortunately, I am in a ground floor flat with an en suite, and a further, larger bathroom just across from the second bedroom.  

Hope you can get back on that horse soon.  What about side saddle....!!!!

Following this Forum very closely, as it full of really good information and support.

Many thanks,

Susie

• Posted

Hi Susie

The general guide is 3-4 nights but can depend on the individual, your recovery and health (bp etc) after the op. First hip I was in for 4 days and the second one (5 weeks ago) I went in at 11am on Wed and was home by 6pm on Friday but then I have my husband to help me.

I know you dont want to stay in hospital too long but you also need to to be feeling well enough to go home. 

If you contact Occupational Health they can give you info on agencies who can provide help for you (carers etc). Or could you stay with your daughter or a friend for the first days after you leave hospital? 

Will you be wearing TED stockings after your op as you would def need help with those.

Linnet x

• Posted

Susie,

I can only echo this advice, especially about the dreaded TED stockings that you have to have to prevent DVT.  

My wife cannot get them on me and we are not allowed to bend to help at all. I have to get my (very strong) 25yo son to pull them over my ankles for me.  There have been suggestions about using an old carrier bag, but nothing seems to work for me.

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Hi Linnet:

Many thanks fpr yur comments.  I will make a note on Occupational Health.

Impossible to stay with my daughter, as she lives in a small one bedroom attic apartment in Bath, and that would mean leaving my cat alone even longer.  So far as friends are concerned, they are mostly in San Francisco and Los Angeles.  No one around here, as it is an ever changing population.  I am somewhat isloated.  

Recognised that I had made a mistake buying where I am now, and attempted to sell, but the recession kicked in and the value of property plummeted.  Very mixed socio economic population, and there is a lot of crime, so I have to be very careful, as I have been a victim several times over.  Police are not particularly innterested, and will twist my information/intelligence to suit their own purposes, same goes for our local council.

Have never heard of TED stockings, so do not understand their purpose.

What is in my favour is that Iam otherwise very healthy and heal very rapidly.

Kind regards,

Susie

• Posted

TED stockings; used to combat the dreaded DVT. 

Compress your lower legs to stop clots forming.

I am told I have to have them on 24x7 for 6 weeks frown

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham:

Many thanks, I thought that this was probably what they were.  I am still used to US terminology.

I have just responded to another post, who has advised that I will have difficulty getting in and out of bed without assistance in lifiting the operated leg.  This is new to me.  Given that the hopsitals want "rid" asap, because they want the bed.  How on earth is a person living alone, with no outside help supposed to manage, partcularly if they need to get up during the course of the night?

This is all becoming increasingly worrying and frightening.

Best regards,

Susie

• Posted

I think I just answered your 'getting into bed' thread.

If not, message me, and I'll chat you through my technique.

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Hi Rocket man..  I didn't have those TED stockings but did have to inject with heperin in my tum for 35 days...  No pain if anyone is reading this..the needles are tiny tiny and isn't hard to do and I sort of think I prefer that to the stockings...which I wouldn't have had a hope in hell of getting on or off as on my own.

All Best,

Ali 2i

• Posted

Susie- don't panic about getting in and out of bed. It's all technique which they will show you in hospital. Yes it is sore to begin with but then it just becomes uncomfortable for a while.

In fact susie, don't panic about anything. You are asking all the right questions and you will be ok. There will be good days and tearful days just because of the shock to your system I think but knowing about it in advance makes it easier to cope with.

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

Absolutely Kate,

We all get bad days, then we get a good day and wonder what it was all about.

Susie, Stick with this forum, it's THE most useful thing you will have other than a supportive partner.

There is so much combined knowledge and genuine love out there, just a few clicks away.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

It's not hard getting in & out, just a bit sore first few times. You can use your good leg& rest your bad leg(ankle ) on top of the good one and flip round lol bit like a crane lol!! I now get in and out of bed without even thinking! Don't worry. All will become crystal clear when you're in hospital. Don't overthink everything. Xx
    • Posted

And, don't overdo things - don't do all the housework, cleaning, washing, dishes, cooking .... get someone else to help a bit (assuming you're not on your own). smile  

You will need plenty of rest, afternoon naps, etc., and expect to get good days and bad days - I am having a great day today, almost running around the house without my sticks, I could not possibly have done that yesterday.

Regards

Graham

• Posted

I only wore my Teds for one day, my surgeon wasn't bothered. I'm doing 28 days of the heparin jabs(1 more week) stomach black n blue lol
    • Posted

Many thanks Graham:

The onet thing I do not have is a supportive partner.  Daughter miles away in Bath, and she doesn't drive.  My support system is mostly in San Francisco, and hard to access!

This is why I am making the enquiries well ahead of time, so that I can do the necessary!  All my neighbours moved in during 2015, and they are all out at work all day.  Do not know any of them,  just one or two, further down the road, but one of them is a semi professional cricketer and is out of the country most of the time!  

Not easy for divorced women.Former husband is in San Francisco, so he wont be around, either!  Fortunately, I am quite self sufficient, but fr the first few days, I am expectig to be like a rag doll!

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Being on your own will make it harder - so preparation is key.

A stock of meals, spare tins, etc., make sure you have a grabber, long shoehorn, clips to help you parking your sticks (search "walking stick clips") about £2 each I think - allows you to park your sticks on coffee table, dressing table etc.

Best wishes

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.