How many here have had to try more than one med

Posted , 8 users are following.

August Tried Zoloft.  Gave me panic attacks, and doctor decided I needed a mood stabilizer because suddenly it felt like a drank 100 cups of coffee, and then got panic and anxiety.  He added on Risperdal, but side effects were too much, then he tried Seroquel, but also had too many side effects.  Then did genetic test and realized I cannot metabolize antipsychotics.  Went off all meds, and tried it myself for 2 months, but couldn't do it.  I got too depressed.  I went back to doctor, and he put me on lithium.  Still depressed, so now am on lithium and citalopram.  Been on lithium for 37 days, and citalopram for 16.   Anyone else have to go through multiple meds. this is torture.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Yes it is torture. Sorry to hear this. About 4 years ago they started me on sertraline and beta blockers. Couldnt hack it. Then they put me on citalopram. Awful. Then mirtazapine... Twice. Different doses. Aswell as diazipam and beta blockers inbetween. Its a huge mess. My own fault for not sticking to them so im told. So alone. No one left to talk too. People just wont give me the time of day.. As i cant stick with anything. It hurts xx
    • Posted

I'm sorry Charmcat.  I know it is lonely.  I do not hang around the friends I used to because I cannot be my old bubbly self.  I am hoping the citalopram kicks in soon.  The good news is my nights aren't too bad.  Not happy, but more comfortable, and the later the better.  I think it is really hard to maintain friendships during depression.  I don't blame people because it is hard to talk to friends who are depresssed.  I can only talk to a very select set of people who understand.  Post often, if you need help, or you feel lonely.

• Posted

Thankyou, thats very comforting to hear. But yes again i feel very alone and fed up. I gotta keep trying and small steps at a time. Yes it is very difficult to maintain any sort of relationship like this. Cant expect everyone to understand hey!
    • Posted

feel so similar, these drugs dont like me. So hard to be told its me not keeping on taking them.  We know our bodies and know what we can or cannot tolerate.  I still chase the elusive one which may help. How are you
  • Posted

Hi I started on prozac and couldn't get on with it.  Then I went on mirtazapine but as I was working at the time and it made me very sleepy it was changed to sertraline.  I started off on 100 mgs but it didn't help.  Then when it was put up to 150 mgs it kicked in.  I have been on this for around 7 years now and it's fine. x

• Posted

smile  I wouldn't say I'm a success story but sertraline does help me somewhat.  x

• Posted

Hi yes Iv been on prestiq lyrica and other Iv just come off lexapro and started on valdoxan .. I also take seroquel & Valium.and other meds due to my heart attack. I'm feeling empty ATM only been on valdoxan 4days ..I dnt no what else I can try as over the years I feel Iv had them all Xanax did work but I'm in Australia and they want give me them 😰 I hate moving out side the house . I'm trying to cope with valdoxan to see if it helps as Iv read it takes 2 weeks to kick in ..I'm praying they do as I dnt no what else I can try .iv never had lithium

• Posted

Hi, i have run the whole gamut of the meds not being able to,tolerate them and still not better. I wonder if valdoxan any easier? Sertraline gave me massive anxiety and nausea, prozac nearly killled me, duloxetine made me like a zombie, trazodone the same. Lofepramine did nothing, seroquel gave me suicidal thoughts.  Now just low dose mirtazapine as when tried to raise anxiety escalated. I am wondering about lamictal as i know it can be used for non bipolar which is what i am, just depressed and anxious.   Your thoughts on valdoxan will be of interest. Thanks
  • Posted

Greentea

I take two AD medications Citalopram and Amytryptalene, the last for nerve and tendon damage, I have reduce the dose from 75mg to 50mg for the Amytryptalene and have been on Citalopram 20mg holding dose for many years now. My condition is caused by a Chronic Disability. My side effects are minimal now and I just get on with my Life. I will be on above now for the rest of my Life, with my Pain Medications

BOB

• Posted

Ugh.....just got a medication change.  Doc dropped the lithium.  He thinks it may be keeping me depressed.  I've been on this for 2 months.  To think I could have been so much better by now if I dropped the lithium earlier.  He thinks I need mood stability rather than being lifted up from depression.  He wants me on over the counter lithium.  So weird.

• Posted

Hope yr med change works greentea. I get quite frightened changing them as i get anxious as the brain gets used to new ones and i hate that :0(.so ive been on prozac long term ( fluoxetine). Now my dose has gone back up to the omtimum 60mg daily im starting to recover slowly. I swear my drs practoce has shares with drug reps to use amytriptyline for every ailment u go to the drs with its ridiciculous. Not saying it doesnt work for some but im just too scared to add another a.d. as im on lots of medication for other things! If u sneeze got a swollen toe sore finger the amytriptylines mentioned. Wow its crazy xxx
    • Posted

It seems the change is working.  I think I was on too much lithium.  I am grateful it got rid of my panic attacks, but it made me really depressed.  The day I went off the prescription lithium, my mood lifted.  I hope it continues.  Maybe I can reduce my citalopram too. 
    • Posted

Aw i hope u continue to feel better too :0) x try waiting just a little while before reducing the citalopram too. Let yr body adjust to the loss of lithium xx just a thought ;0). One at a tym may give u less side effects than doing the 2 together.♡ xx
  • Posted

I have never heard of over the counter ones have you true them I just come of lexapro omg it was horrible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.