How many hip replacement can one person have in a lifetime?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have you had more than one hip replacement yet? I was only 27 when my was done. They said it will last around 15 years. It's only been 5 years but I already feel it's not as good as it was and it hurts sometimes. I heard one's can only have 3 hip replacements in a lifetime. Is it true??? What's after?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

younger patients tend to be more active so a hip may wear out more quickly. However, I think some people have hips that last decades. I haven't heard the only 3 times idea, but I suppose this relates to what they do to the surrounding bone when they do the surgery. Firstly, if you feel there have been some changes have you been back to your surgeon for you to be checked over? I had both my hips replaced 4 years ago and I notice changes on some days not others - a sort of loose feeling at times and occasionally some pain. I'm much older than you and also over weight, so trying to sort out the latter as I want my hips to last forever! On the plus side, as time goes on there will be new developments that may increase the time that they last. I had ceramic hips which are expected to last longer. Sorry to not be of more help, but stay positive, visit your surgeon and take care of your hip.
  • Posted

The problem with revising hips is that to get them out can result in damage to the femur. I suppose that after 3 the risk of fracture is too great. Now there will be advances in techniques, but when replacement is no longer viable they remove the prosthesis and let the hip form a "false" joint. They call it an arthrodesis.
  • Posted

Hi Possum,

Than you for your reply.

I don't have a surgeon. I saw him once after the surgery, when he informed me I'm good to go on 2 feet again and can loose the crouches. That's it. Years later I requested another appointment due to having terrible pains in my other hip. (As the problem with my leg started at a very early age doctors told me I can expect hip replacement on the other leg very soon. It is because most of my life I favored and carried my weight on my "good" leg.) After 8 months I still didn't get any appointment and I moved since.

I'm not too worry that it hurt some days, I know it is expected as time pass by and the pain is bearable, nothing what I had to endure before.

I was a very active child and as such eat a lot to have the energy. When problems started I became immobile for 4years and even after was restricted of any activity, I was allowed only to walk. My eating habits didn't change therefore managed to get overweight as a child. Before the hip replacement I made the decision to loose the weight, I couldn't ignore it anymore knowing how bad is the extra weight to my hip. I was lucky, for the very first try I lost over a stone and re-gained healthy weight. Since I'm very careful to keep my shape and weight. I wish you be such as successful with your diet as me.

• Posted

Hi Judi,

Yes, my hope is the technology to advance. It all make sense and I figured the same reason of why only 3 hip replacement available to one.

I looked up arthrodesis. It seems to me like a better option than hip replacement, no foreign body in your system. But where do they take the bone from? Why it wasn't an option at the first time? I will need to get more details on this. Thank you for the information.

• Posted

The problem with revision prostheses is that you lose some bone each time and eventually you don't have enough good bone left so putting in another prosthesis becomes more and more difficult. So, it makes sense to look after your prosthesis, taking up sky diving, marathon running etc is not the best idea, swimming, cycling, walking are much better.

Many prostheses today last for 20+ years and they hope for longer life still but you are right to be concerned since you are pretty young.

Arthrodesis is stable but it places a lot of strain on your back. A friend of mine had her arthrodesis converted to a THR to reduce her back pain. I believe that with the increased lifetime of THR surgeons don't tend to recommend arthrodesis because of the problems with back pain as you get older. THR gives you better function and a normal gait while arthrodesis leaves you with a permanent limp.

• Posted

Hey Marcho..  I read your post/question about how many hip replacements can one person have in a lifetime.  I am 53 and in the last 4 years I have had both my hips done a total of 9 times.  I have had my left hip completely replaced twice, and my right hip replaced 4 times and 3 revisions.  A revision is when they go back in and do a partial fix where only a certain part of the joint needs to be replaced.  My first surgeon wasnt so hot and ended up causing me catastrophic issues on my right hip.  To the rescue came another surgeon who helped me tremendously.  But because of the initial surgery done it caused a domino effect on both my legs.  This is not typical at all.  Hip replacements are a pretty straight forward procedure for the most part.  As you know pain can be a part of the game.  I found this forum because I walk to keep my legs moving, but am finding it so painful when I get done with my walks that I might need to switch to a stationary bicycle.  If you are in pain you NEED to talk to your surgeon.  If he or she doesnt want to help you then please find another to look at you.  My first surgeon was out of his league and did not want to go in and fix the problem.  I had to take matters into my own hands and get another surgeon to look at me.  I was in emergency surgery 2 days later to pull it out.  Be pro-active.  Remember squeeky wheel gets the oil.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. It's a relief to know there's a chance for more hip replacements, however I'm so sorry to hear your story.

So far my replacement holds up, but if I gain a little weight it feels it already. No problem of keeping an eye on my weight now, but I'm planning to have children in the near future, I nothing I can do about my weight that time.

I also had to change my job early this year. My leg just wasn't happy about 10hours of standing and walking. It felt to me the same as to you: getting very tired, felt like my leg weights tons, I could hardly lift them to go up on the stairs at the end of the day.

But since I changed to sitting job, it's back to normal. I would advise you the same. Walk is good, but only short ones and with rests.

I wish you best of luck and I hope the pain will disappear soon for you too.

• Edited

hi Marcho.... hope that your surgeries are doing fine. I know it's been a while since you asked this question but I figured I would answer it since I saw it online. I was 26 the first time I had my hip replaced on the right side and since then I've had five revisions now on the same side three of which were total hip replacements. at some point I had the left side done as well but luckily there haven't been any complications with that one. I was told that I can't have any more surgeries on the right side because I don't have enough bone to hold them in place but I also never thought that I would be able to live through five surgeries on the same side. I am only 40 now and I just wanted to answer your question from somebody that's been there. hope it helps

• Posted

I too have had my total hip replaced at a very young age. I was 25 Yrs old and had severe hip dysplasia from birth, was caught at age 13 and by 25 my right hip was completely gone. I didn't need a revision until 21 years later. Those were the best years my hip had. After the revision in 2016, things seemed fine then quickly went down hill. 4yrs later It was discovered that I had bone loss that had spread to my pelvic bone. So, another revision was done to clean up all the debris in there, change the liner and I got a massive amount of bone grafted in. Upon researching I found that the name for it is periprosthetic osteolysis, which is basically bone loss around the implant. Well its been a year since the bone graft and my latest CT scan shows possible loosening. The graft taking longer to become my own bone. My surgeon is pretty old school so I'm praying on what to do next. Second opinion possibly. Thank you all for sharing your journeys. I pray for successful recoveries for each one of you. God bless!

• Posted

hi Marcho.... hope that your surgeries are doing fine. I know it's been a while since you asked this question but I figured I would answer it since I saw it online. I was 26 the first time I had my hip replaced on the right side and since then I've had five revisions now on the same side three of which were total hip replacements. at some point I had the left side done as well but luckily there haven't been any complications with that one. I was told that I can't have any more surgeries on the right side because I don't have enough bone to hold them in place but I also never thought that I would be able to live through five surgeries on the same side. I am only 40 now and I just wanted to answer your question from somebody that's been there. hope it helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.