How many months supply does your doctor prescribe?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on Orlistat for 3 months and have lost just over 1 stone (from 16 stone 4). My doctor will only prescribe 1 month at a time and I have to go and see him rather than getting a repeat. Does everyone's doctor do the same or can you get 2 or 3 months at a time?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello I have been on them for 6/7weeks and at the moment I have to go back every month to get a months worth... But I am sure the doc said that if after 3 months I have lost 5%or more of mt body weight I can stay on them but I would of thought I would get 2 /3 months worth at a time.
  • Posted

Hi again, yes my doctor is the same, 1 month at a time and I have to see her everytime to get the prescription and in addition I have to see the nurse monthly to get weighed - (and of course I can never get a double appointment to do it all in one go) - NHS wasting money?????? Mad! But at least my docs is only 2 minutes walk from my house so not too inconvenient.
  • Posted

Hiya, my nurse will only prescribe one month at a time, thats all they're allowed to do!
  • Posted

I was prescribed ORLISTAT,my Gp told me told me that he can  only send me a month supply....( am not sure if there's any kind of law about it), what I do now is ask for a repeat prescription, then my surgery send it  to my local pharmacy/ chemist  ... And.... Then I just collect it !! Save me a lot of time 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.