how many more knees???????

Posted , 8 users are following.

i have been told that i am to have my 5th tkr next yr. so far the initial knee then 3 replacements. its not 2 yr old and its loose. no infection lots of angry inflammation showed on test in hospital. the thought of going through all of this again fills me with despair

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh April that is so frightening. I have fingers well crossed this one works. My mother in law no has a fused knee after several botched replacement attempts and no one has been able to say why hers were not successful. All the best.
    • Posted

thank you i dont mean it in bad way but when someone else has no reason for failures i dont feel so alone. is your mil leg dead straight now unable to bend ?
  • Posted

After 9 years my 1st prosthesis broke loose and I had to have as revision. Then I manufactured my own set of problems by falling the day after surgery breaking the femur. Over the next 4 years, due to tweaking, infections etc I had 5 more for a total of 11. I can tell you it's painful, frustrating and scary. I have the remnants of an inoperable rare tumor buried in the nerve bundle in the knee so it can't all be removed. I've been battling this since 2002 and I'm almost 81. All I can to you is th a t there never was a winner that wasn't a fighter. Just keep your head up and pain pills handy. I wish there were absolutes for every problem but apparently for some there aren't. Hang in there and keep the battle going

• Posted

My heart goes out to you April. All I can do is send you my best wishes that this tie will be the success you deserve.
  • Posted

Hi April 101,

I had had my TKR in 2014 in Sweden. Hit the jackpot! Postoperative infection. Two deep cleanings in Sweden. One here in Thaniland, Bangkok where I live. Chronic infection with watery yellow pus is oozing out on side of the TKR  (smells like butter). Gauze change three times a day. Stiffness and pain.Yes. Medication Tramadol 25mg - 50 per day. I can manage. I can walk shorter distances. And I love to drive. “Like the wind” I am 68 still working as journalist. Revision. No thank you. Bangkok-Johnny. Hang in there. Best of luck. BTW how is your pain level.

• Posted

Hi April. I can only say we need to trust that our lives and health are in the best of surgical hands. Just do what you need to and trust and believe it will be ok. xxx
  • Posted

April - my prayers and best wishes are with you for a successful surgery. J-21370
  • Posted

April- sorry to hear your news. I too am in the same boat. I just had my 5th knee put in on same leg. My last knee only lasted a year before it was loose. No infection- no blunt trauma- turns out I was allergic to Nickle and my body was rejecting it. I just had a custom part built of just titanium and it’s was put in 2 weeks ago. 

I know your pain of not doing it again- but not walking again was not an option.  Hang in there.  Revisions are not easy. They are very complicated. They could not get my old rod  out of my leg- so they had to splice my tibia. 

It has made rehab different & challenging- but I will do it- because not walking is not an option for me. 

Hang in there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.