How many of you get PVCs (ectopic heart beats) following exercise?

Posted , 6 users are following.

How many of you get increased frequency of PVCs (ectopic beats) following exercise?

I have read in this study that exercise induce PVC tend to have increased risk of mortality in both asymptomatic and symptomatic patient (including those with underlying heart disease).

The study goes on to highlight some of the causes, including autonomic dysregulation as one (you can read more on it for yourself).

I am not sure what to make of this, do I stop exercising? Do I continue? Is the increased risk negligible? What about the narrative that PVCs are benign?

What are your thoughts

(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5237717/#:~:text=of%20EI%2DPVCs.-,Conclusions,patients%20with%20symptomatic%20heart%20disease.)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi'

I also get my extra beats the first minutes after workout. I get them too when I am relaxed.

every people I ask only feel them on relaxing moments, not with exercise... this makes me feel frightened...

I wore a holter yesterday and got an appointment with my cardiologist on monday, I will ask him about this issue!

• Posted

I've been dealing with random PVC's for about 7 years now. They seem to come and go with no rhyme or reason so far.

As far as PVC's and exercise, for me it's as random as the PVC's themselves. Sometimes I can do cardio and/or weights with no PVC's, other times I'll get just a few. Other times they may start after I'm 10 or 15 minutes in, and sometimes I only notice them just after finishing cardio, during the cool-down period.

Have you had a cardiologist make any recommendations regarding exercise? I'd be curious to know their take in light of the study you provided.

• Posted

I've never had issues with PVCs after exercise until lately. I definitely have more PVCs after I exercise (or during) now. I'm not exactly sure what's going on. I think I read that article before, but I've seen many articles that say they're normally benign no matter when they happen. It's probably nothing to worry about. I'm going to keep trying to work on getting mine under control though, and in the mean time, I've tried to be a bit easier on my workouts. As long as I don't push myself too hard, I'm usually ok.

• Posted

sorry to jump on your post, im a bounce fitness instructor so id like to say im pretty fit BUT i also have skipped beat issues although they use to be quite rare, sometimes dehydration from exercise can cause it i know that much, i use to get them ovcassionally when i first finished exercising but not all the time but i had months with out any...

now ive sprained my ankle so have not worked out at all in way over a week, i have gone from intense cardio 4-5 times a week to absolutely nothing and sitting down most of the day the last few days i have had continuous ectopics i say continuous because i have episodes yesterday it lasted for a good half hour on and off then theough the night i woke up and theu were hapoening again every 5 minutes or so , im wondering if my change in exercise is why im noticing them i dont know.. i just hate it

• Posted

You have also got far more time to think of things. If you keep busy and distracted beats become less noticeable. If you have the time and no distraction you are likely to start counting the beats, anxiety escalates and the beats become worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.