How Many of You Have Continued to Work While You Had These Prostate/Bladder Problem?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm a 72 YR. OLD semi-retired substitute school teacher. ...I'm wondering if I should try to work while I'm wearing the Direct Cath Leg Bag...

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Sure, why not?  Otoh, have you considered intermittent self-cathing?
    • Posted

The benefits are that your movements aren't restricted, no pulling and pain and you can live fully normally. Get a portable cath and as long as you have access to a stall no one will ever know. Peeing will take about 30 seconds more than doing it the normal way. And no Foley to disguise with baggy pants

• Posted

it all depends on what kind of work to you do.  You just have to be careful that it is taped good to you leg.  Make sure you empty it and have some swipes with you to clean it.  You don't what to get a infection.  How long are you going to have the catheter.  Take care  Ken

• Posted

Should allow life as normal. Memorably, I once sussessfully had a day out to watch Tennis at Wimbledon wearing my indwelling catheter and bag. Train, walk (a mile or so) and sitting in the spectator stands. All went well, even the security search at entry to the courts - although I had to explain I wasn't carrying a bomb under my trousers!

• Posted

Yes you can do alot with one in if your care full.  You just have to make sure it is taped to your leg well.  I know the day after I had my uro-lift I had a catheter and I drove my son to downtown orlando for Jury duty and then picked him up when he was down   You just have to watch your movement   Have a good day  ken
    • Posted

So far, the "Leg Bag" has worked fine, but I hate having to wear the bag, having to wear a "long term direct cath", and the pain...The individual caths may be an improvement over those....Take care!.... 

• Posted

I hope the REZUM procedure will allow me to pee as normal and I can get rid of the "direct cath leg bag"...I feel my urologist will want to schedule the REZUM after he receives the results of the prostate cancer biopsy to be performed this Friday..

• Posted

It is better with intermittent cathing as some have said. Only trouble is, it can take you a little while to get into the technique to the point where you are certain to have no troubles. If your leg bag is only for a short time, say maximum 2 weeks, then cope with that. On the other hand, if you face an uncertain but possibly long time with a bag, just dont put up with that. Get self-cathing right away.
    • Posted

It's been ~ 6 weeks and I'm tired of the "Leg Bag"...If the self cath is easy to input and there's no pain, I'd like to try it...

• Posted

SIX WEEKS????  AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!   Okay, a little dramatic, but I hated it when I had it for only ONE WEEK!   Yeah, the do-it-yourself approach worth a try.  It took me one try to get it.  Quality of life went WAY up!  Good luck.   Also this:  listen to what the nurse says, but several of us do it differently, and actually more safely than they teach:  Infection is the worst possible by product of self cathing.  To avoid having to touch any of the catheter tube that goes inside you, private messge me or JimJames to get details of what to do that's safer!

• Posted

SIX WEEKS????  AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!   Okay, a little dramatic, but I hated it when I had it for only ONE WEEK!   Yeah, the do-it-yourself approach worth a try.  It took me one try to get it.  Quality of life went WAY up!  Good luck.   Also this:  listen to what the nurse says, but several of us do it differently, and actually more safely than they teach:  Infection is the worst possible by product of self cathing.  To avoid having to touch any of the catheter tube that goes inside you, private messge me or JimJames to get details of what to do that's safer!

• Posted

Also 72 yrs old had many catheters and still run our caravan site, cut grass, work with my tractors , look after my poultry. Can do all I want to do and it is important to try and live life as normal, as too many folks give in and wilt away.  Main problem is pain from Prostatitis but if busy concentrating on doing jobs, can keep it at the back of my mind. Keep smiling it can only get better !!.
    • Posted

You're amazing to be able to do all those activities!...I grew up on a farm so I know how much work there is...You're very active....I appreciate your positive story..

• Posted

Randy,  I had a really physical job, lots of walking and lifting.  Luckily, I'm retired now and so I can just stay at home and rest. I hope I can get my bladder to empty on its own, because I can feel the catheter moving around when I bend or move a certain way.  It drives me nuts!

• Posted

That's exactly the way I feel with the "direct-penis-bag" catheter..I have pain when I move and I don't enjoy wearing the "catheter, bag, etc."..

I can only "pray" the REZUM procedure will correct my bladder retention problem by removing the large obstruction that's caused by my prostate enlargement and, it will be determined that I don't have prostate cancer and/or, if I do, it's treatable and curable...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.