How many of you have had the PH Probe study and were the results worth going through the test?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just wondering how many of you have had the PH Probe test and were your results worth going through the test. I know with LPR if you don't have the correct test a lot of time it will be negative. I read about the new ResTech test that tests the throat area not the esophagus area and I think that would be the one for me since the upper endoscopy and the barium swallow showed no sign of GERD or any inflammation in my esophagus. The only thing that I know of right now is that the ENT saw some inflammation in my throat when he did the largynxscope. The GI doctor wants to do the PH study so he can see for sure if this is reflux or what but he was giving me the wrong one. I did find a doctor who does the one for LPR but I have not been to him yet. The PPI's did not do a thing for me after 7 weeks on 40mg Omoprazole I gave up. Dont know if that was long enough to see a difference.I am now trying the supplement route with the DGL, makuna honey, aloe vera and some vitamins but nothing is helping so starting to feel hopeless. This all started in late April right after the upper endoscopy. Did not have this lump in throat feeling until after that test but I have had it every day since- feel like I am going crazy! 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ph manometry is essential if you're likely to be considered for reflux reduction surgery. I had it prior to being an acceptable candidate for fundoplication. I wrote a blog at the time which I'll provide a link to in a separate post as it will need to be moderated.

When I got the results a couple of weeks later, it showed a DeMeester score of 179. (Anything over 14.7 is considered high acid reflux.) And much of the time my pH was around 1 (when it should normally be around 4.)

Problems with reflux (and LPR may be considered an extension of GORD) are it  is not necessarily controllable by medication (a chemical soolution) when it is primarily a mechanical problem requiring a mechanical solution.

PPIs are excellent at reducing acidity so making reflux less dangerous but do little to reduce the reflux itself.

And phyto medicines likewise rely on chemical process. Mostly they just provide a soothing balm rather than being curative.

Lump in the throat feeling (Globus), from the cricopharyngeus attempting to prevent extra-oesophageal reflux, is just one of many LPR symptoms.

• Posted

This link will take you to the blog written at the time when I underwent 24hr pH manometry: https://sites.google.com/site/robichris/barretts/manometry

And this link will take you to the relevant chapter of the Down With Acid book that describes extra-oesophageal reflux (commonly referred to as LPR or silent reflux): https://sites.google.com/site/downwithacid/home/reflux/lpr

• Posted

Hi ! I have LPR for sure ! Or extra esophageal reflux. I have no symptoms except mucous in my throat, with stuffy nose.

How do I get rid of it if the standard medicine doesn't work ? I've done everything known to man to make it stop.

Help, I'm desperate !

Thanks !

Marla

• Posted

The avialable medication reduces acid (which is a chemical process) but not reflux (which is a mechanical process). It just makes the reflux less damaging.

The Down With Acid book (linked to above) has a whole section on reflux including the management thereof.

Extra-oesophageal reflux (LPR) started as gastro-oesophageal reflux (GOR) breaching the lower oesophageal sphincter (LOS), from the stomach into the oesophagus, thence travelling full column and breaching the upper oesophageal sphincter.

The management of reflux usually requires lifestyle modification.

Your GOR was permitted by a malfunctioning LOS probably as a result of a Hiatus Hernia (HH) but possibly by drug induced relaxation (eg my smoking) so stop smoking if applicable.

HH describes when some of the stomach has pushed up (herniated) through the hiatus hole in the diaphragm that permits the oesophagus to reach the stomach. This may be caused by carrying too much weight, If appropraite, lose weight. This will also reduce presuure on the stomach that can force the contents backwards. For the same reason, avoid tight clothing.

Avoid exercises or bending after food that will squeeze or tip the stomach.

Eat small portions of food to avoid over-filling the stomach and more frequently. 5 or 6 half sized portions at regular intervals through the day is better. And keep the body upright and take your time when eating. However, do not eat for at least 3 hours before going to bed to give time for the stamch to empty. Raise the head of the bed 6 to 8 inches on blocks and sleep on your left side so gravity will help keep any remaining stomcah contents in place.

If you are unable to reduce reflux symptoms in this way, you may need to discuss reflux reduction surgery (fundoplication).

• Posted

Hi. I've had an endoscopy and my dr said he sees no signs of reflux, no HH, no problems with the sphincters. I am very slim, eat a very healthy diet, quit coffee, anything with vinegar, raised my bed, don't smoke. Dr said he sees no sign of acid in my throat (although throat is slightly red), and no signs of acid in esophagus. I've been to several ent and they say I have reflux and my gastro says ibs be sinus issues. The whole thing is maddening .

• Posted

How frustrating for you, did the ENT suggest that is was LPR? Hope you can get some answers soon.
  • Posted

Hi, I had the PH test - it didn't show up much either, slight reflux and that the muscle was working ok? - i went to ENT he said I had  LPR and asked was I having PH test - I was due for it about a week after seeing him. I am on Somac twice daily and motillium before each meal. I hadn't heard about the other test - will investigate as my symtoms have not settled - have a dry burning throat all the time, with post nasal drip.

• Posted

Your throat and nasal problems are symptomatic of reflux which won't be controlled by medicine.

Somac's active ingredient is pantoprazole 9 PPI) which will reduce acid so the reflux is less damagng. Motillium (domperdone) is an anti-emetic which may elp peristalsis of foods through the digestive system with the hope of reducing reflux but most people who are on it that I have spoken to haven't noticed it making any difference.

You need to reduce the reflux.

When my post to klc78900 above is approved, it has a link to the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux in the Down With Acid book.

• Posted

Thanks, I was aware of how the meds worked and that the throat and post nasal drip that i also experience is caused by reflux. I have had an endoscope and nothing was found. Previous to reflux medications I had gall bladder removed.The gastro was tooing and froing from one endoscope to the other between bile and reflux, but when, because of a perfect storm of anti imflammatories over a period, the reflux became unbearble and she upped the somac to twice a day, ensuing endoscope and ph tests results as above - so now just trying to even eat smaller meals no caffeine etc along with the said meds. Reflux/heartburn symptoms are lesser but the dry throat, "wet ears" and post nasal drip still around

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.