How many of you who had a BPH procedure, had a cystoscopy firts?

Posted , 15 users are following.

It is becoming increasingly clearer to me, that the procedure solution you are given is limited by which of the range of solutions (TURP, Rezum, HoLEP, FLA, PAE, Aquaablation, etc) your urologist performs. If they don't perform it they don't recommend it and sometimes don't even tell you that other options exist.

I have been frustrated by the lack of a consistent recommendation for me and the fact that they are making their recommendations without ever doing a cystoscopy or a 3D-MRI. How can they recommend a solution when they haven't even seen what the actual condition is inside my urethra and at the median lobe of my prostate.

Am I wrong to expect that they should want to know that before they recommend a solution? How many of you who have had a corrective procedure were offerred a cystoscopy or 3D-MRI first. If not, why not?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Three years ago my GP diagnosed BPH by DRE and my PSA was low so he prescribed Tamsulosin. This did give me some relief but two months ago matters became worse so a visit to the Urological team in our local hospital (UK) was arranged. Following a very thorough consultation chiefly around my history the consultant had me do the flow meter test followed by a bladder ultrasound and DRE which confirmed that I had a large prostate and very weak stream and 120ml retention. I then had a Cystoscopy two weeks later followed by Urodynamic tests (which included another flow meter test) two weeks later. All this proved that I had an enlarged prostate bulging into the bladder and the urethra and retaining 120ml. By this time my frequency was around 19-21 times a day and urge incontinence was happening. Night time toilet visits (midnight to 6am) are 5-6 times. My PSA is currently 3.3. TURP and TURiS have been mentioned and recently the hospital is geared up to start HoLep so that might be offered. One thing that no one had done was to establish the actual size of my prostate so I will now have a rectal prostate utrasound. Apparently the HoLep procedure is only offered if your prostate is over 80 grams in the UK. I can't complain about lack of proper diagnosis tools or the help and understanding med staff throughout the last two months. Incidently the Urolift is not offered here by the NHS - it is only offered by private hospitals so that rules me out. Maybe someone out there may suggest an additional test I could have!?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.