How many options are left for my UC?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

I was diagnosed 1 year ago with UC and have suffered nearly every day since. I started with the steroids which for about 3 months had no affect with me, after a rough period I was admitted into hospital to have several iron infusions due to loss in blood and steroids injected into me and for that week my symptoms became great.

After hospital i was given steroid tablets again to continue which just didnt help at all, then i was given azathioprine. I was on these for around 3 months and had no affect, after more tests it showed my body wasnt actually taking any tablets in, so nothing had been effective. 

I am now (and have been for 3 months) on humira injections, 40mg every fortnight. For a couple of months i have been ok, still having rough days but generally ok, but lately gone into another flare up, back on prescribed steriods along with humira. 

Currently got blood tests in 2 weeks to find out if i have enough humira in my system, and then from there not sure where the path is. 

Has anyone else been in this situation, with humira not being effective, and what is the next step I could be going down?

Really struggling at the minute with everything, getting extremely tired constantly, really bad brain fog at the minute too.. cant think of anything or its like my brain just isnt working. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi kirbsj55

I'm afraid humira did not help me but for some its affective. I was on oral steroids for 3-4 years( far too long) & also had steriod infusions in hospital but couldn't control my uc without it. Tried All the maintenance drugs available at the time, ending on vedoluzimab.

Please remember everyone's uc is different & so is their treatment. Hope you find one that helps you. 

• Posted

Hi Kirbsj.

So very sorry to hear of your predicament. It must be extremely hard for you at the moment. This is such a horrible and unpredictable disease to develop.

I'm afraid that I cannot offer any practical assistance, other than sincerely to wish you well and hope that an effective treatment plan that works well for you can be put in place before much longer.

With my prayers and very best wishes,

Peter A   

• Posted

Thank you very much Pete, extremely grateful!

Kirby

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.