How many surgeries is enough?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have decided to get the decompression surgery, my symptom have become untenable. So I've been asking various neurologists how many decompression surgeries they have performed. Then it occurred to me I have no idea what to compare it against. Is a doctor with 12 surgeries experienced? Should he have 50 or more performed?

How many surgeries constitutes an experienced surgeon?

Thank you

Kenny

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi ken.... firstly im sorry to hear of the pain this CM is causing you. with regards to the question how many surgeries is enough.... personally dont think they will tell u how many they have done (or they wont in the Uk) and even if they have only done a handful they will no doubt have to be supervised upto a certain amount. In my case i was one of the unlucky ones that walked into surgery with all the normal symptoms which were knocking me off my feet.... to wake up from surgery to not be able to walk and complete left side weakness im now reliant on a walking aid for very short distances and a wheelchair for outside. still to this day i go to my NS and tell him how im feeling and always told "i cant be feeling those symptoms as the book doesnt say thats one of them??? the Uk Surgeons arnt great in being upto date with this condition and like many im sure i feel so alone with no support or anything. hope the surgery goes ok and u get some sort of relief.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply.

I'm sorry it were so poorly. Finding reliable info has not been easy. I hope you find relief from another provider.

Be well.

Kenny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.