how many vaccinations at once??

Posted , 3 users are following.

my children, in the USA, are well behind the what.....49 doses of vaccine or what have you? AS I am a gentle vaxxer.....only the very scary diseases vaccinated, one vax shot at a time. But they are entering school and it demands they be fully up to date. school begins in exaclty one month. i have a nurse visit on the 15th to get some vaccines but getting probably 15??? seems wrong at one time. What to do? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have your children received any vaccinations at all?  Are they entering 1st grade? 

Each state can vary as to what they require for school entry: They typically require:   2 MMR, 5 DTaP, 4 Polio, 3 Hepatitis B, 2 Varicella.  Some may require 2 Hepatitis A shots and/or an annual flu shot.  If your child has none of these, your first visit could include: 1 MMR, 1 Varicella - (both of these are live vaccines and given subcutaneously) 1 DTP, 1 Polio, 1 Hepatitis B & possibly 1 Hepatitis A.(these are given in the muscle/upper arm or leg)  It's not unusual for them to give

six shots at one visit - but you CAN spread them out, it just takes more visits. Again, if they haven't had ANY of these, the second visit would be a month later where they would receive the same six shots. At that point, the requirements for MMR, Varicella and Hepatitis A would have been met as there are only two doses in the series. The next visit would likely be another - DTP, Polio and Hepatitis B. After that visit, only two DTP shots and 1 Polio shot remain. Most schools will allow your child to begin school if you are in the process of reeiving the necessary vaccinations. Also, at school age, they have already outgrown the Rotavirus and Hib vaccines. Once they receive these basic vaccinations, they're good until they enter the seventh grade - at that point, they'll need their Tdap booster, their first Meningitis shot and their first HPV vaccination (series of three over six months). If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help.

• Posted

thanks! let's see to my recall (he dr has the shot records as I accidentaly left them there).... my oldest, kindergarten, has had   1 MMR, 3 DTaP, 2 Polio, 1 Hepatitis B, 1 Varicella.  no hep a or flu . youngest is going into preschool, i think 1MMR, 3DTAP, 1 polio all the rotavirus. i dont give the hepatitus vaccines as it isnt easy to get without bodily fluids such as sexual/blood which isnt exactly common in little kids.....just my own opinion.  I am also very against HPV (and I have had hpv cancer scares myself) but have years to battle for that one lol.

i hope they allow me to enroll if i am in process of vaxxing, as if not, I will have to quit my job....the only other daycare I can afford is 20 minutes the wrong direction from my commute (I've a 50 min commute) and wont open until 7am and i must be at work at 730 sooooooo.... basically I can only allow my kids to attend this preschool/school. The good news is if they are able to enroll in the process of vaxxing, they are one buildign away from where I work smile 

• Posted

Well it sounds like they are halfway done with their shots. Like I said, different states vary as to what they require. What state are you in?  You're right about the Hepatitis B - but I think it is one of those that is required in most states for school entry, as is the DTP and MMR.  As for the HPV, it's usually not a required vaccination - maybe two or three states - and you can opt out.  Meningitis is also a recommended vaccine, especially for college (some require it for students living on campus - but usually let you opt out) The vaccine that is usually given is the Menactra that protects against the A,C,Y & W-135 strains. There is now two vaccines for the Type B strain that has been the one responsible for the college outbreaks called Bexsero and Trumemba. It's also "recommended" but it would be a good idea to get both - but that's several years away for you.  Some pre-schools *may* require the flu shot. From what you say, they may not need more than 4 - 5 shots to get up to date.
  • Posted

The nurse will advise you about the quickest vaccine schedule. I have to say I find the whole gentle vax idea very odd, we are all exposed to hundreds of organisms every day, our immune system is always busy. There is even some work suggesting that early exposure to lots of antigens helps fine tune the immune system and can help prevent some autoimmune conditions later in life. To many children are brought up in modern homes that are more like clinics, its early exposure that "trains" our immune system and the less exposure it gets the less competent it is later in life. Our immune system doesn't count how many things it meets at once, its all in a days work for it, its only when we are sick and our immune system is fully engaged the extra challenges can cause problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.