How many weeks in-between surgeries?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I saw this post in these forums-

Here in Canada the wait time between surgeries for cataracts is 4 weeks -  6 weeks apart.  The surgeons want to know where first eye ends up so they can make adjustments to the target of second eye.

Sounds good,  but in the 5 weeks inbetween my surgeries I think the first eye that was done was only checked 1 day and 1 week after surgery.  Usually you have a 1 month check but I didn't on that first eye. It was checked the day after my 2nd eye surgery , so 5 weeks from the first surgery.  

I was supposed to have them 2 weeks apart  but had to reschedule due to a bad cough. Still, if I'd had it done 2 weeks after the first , as planned , they wouldn't really have known yet where the first eye "ended up." to be able to make adjustments.  I'm guessing they usually see changes/improvements in the month post-op visit from the 1 week  post-op visit . I have no problems with mine but I think I'd advise others to wait  5 or 6 weeks in-between surgeries. 

However I do understand that some have trouble during that in-between time. I found I could wear one contact and be okay , but when I tried my glasses (one lens had been replaced with clear glass) it was very disorienting. I think it was because my first eye done was done for near vision, the contact Ii had in my 2nd eye was for far vision, but my glasses were multifocals.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Here in the UK, it's common practice to wait 1 week, if you're paying for private treatment. Not sure about wait times on the NHS.

• Posted

Julian1967 - privately done those clinics (even on Canada) want to do the surgeries as closely as possible together.  They are profit driven.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.