How many women out there are still suffering long after surgery?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello Ladies

I just want to know truthfully how many women out there are still suffering long after their surgery has been completed? I just read all about polypropylene mesh and transvaginalmesh regarding something called a sling operation to hold up the bladder. I was very concerned when I read all the results regarding this type of surgery. Do any of you ladies have mesh and was your successful or are you still suffering?

I just read there are 72,000 lawsuits in Charleston West Virginia because of the pain and suffering caused by the mesh.

I feel the only way we can know the truth is to listen to those who have had this surgery successfully and we want to hear how long ago you had it and if it caused other prolapses or not. What about the ones who are still suffering long after surgery. I would like to hear their stories. I want to hear both sides so everyone can make a fair evaluation about this serious decision. Not everyone is going to fly through this surgery and come out the other side 100%. However, if you did you are very blessed and I am happy for you. If you didn't I still want to hear your side of it too.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello lynn. You are absolutely right about all the problems with the mesh and I've referred to it in other posts. As I understand it it's banned now in the USA and Scotland but not in England and Wales. There was criticism recently about the company who run the research and  get gynaecologists into finding women to take part in their research paying them to have holidays in Brazil and giving them laptops. This has been heavily criticised but women who aren't aware of this continue to have the mesh inserted. I had a prolapse repair 4 years ago where this mesh was not used thank goodness and I've had no problems but I really do think it should be banned.
    • Posted

I am so glad for you Matron and you give others hope and inspiration that they will be as happy as you are 4 years later. Thats why I want to hear from others who are just as happy as you or those who are still suffering. I want to hear their stories and how they are coping a year or so after this operation or even six or seven months after it. I think we could all learn something from those who have had success and those who are still suffering.
    • Posted

I know I am lucky and perhaps had a lucky escape. The gynaecologist who performed my surgery is one of the doctors taking part in the trial of the mesh!
    • Posted

Wow, that speaks volumes to me. What kind of operation did you have? Did you have the folded over type bladder repair, did you have the sling type sewing to hold up the bladder with the sling sewing in two places? What exactly was your type of bladder surgery without the mesh involved?
    • Posted

Hello lynn. It wasn't my bladder that prolapsed but my bowel. The bowel was secured using a type of membrane that after about a year actually dissolves.
    • Posted

Oh, that certainly clears up things a lot. From my research it seems to be the prolapse bladder operations that seem to work in some cases but not others. I have even heard many times that the prolapse falls back down and the operation has to be done again and again. Those women I really feel sorry for and I hope some of them come to this site and explain what they are experiencing and how they are coping a year later or months later, whatever. We need to hear from these women, again, as well as the success stories. It helps women relate that have had failed surgeries as well as successful ones. We can all learn from failures as well as successes.
    • Posted

Hi Lynn andMatron, I had prolapse surgery but my doctor did not recommend using mesh. She also told me 15% of women will need to have the surgery again. Not very good odds in my book! I just hope I'm one of the other 75%! 
    • Posted

A friend of mine has a prolapsed bowel and bladder. She's part of this research. I've tried to warn her (she's a nurse as well) of all the concerns to no avail. She's been told by the consultant that the repair will last about a year! 
    • Posted

Wow, one year is like so quick it will make your head spin. I don't have any pain , just the inconvenience of this ball type feeling down there. It is uncomfortable if I don't have my prolapse support creation on to keep it just inside my vagina. Once that is accomplished all systems are go and I have no problem all day long. So for those like me, they need to heed your warnings. Think twice about this type of surgery and if you can live with your prolapse, go pee pee okay and bowel movements are okay, live with it my friends, the alternative, check it out yourself on the internet. I did and I am happy I did. Glad you are okay Matron.
    • Posted

Well I wouldn't be having major surgery for something that lasts a year! 
    • Posted

Carolannfud

How long ago did you have your prolapse operation and has there been any problems that you noticed after your proper recovery time?

• Posted

Oh I'm sorry predictive text took over. 10 years 
    • Posted

Did you have the sling or were you sewed up a different way do you know?
    • Posted

Woops sorry Matron, I was asking Carol if she had the sling.
    • Posted

I had my op 4 months ago and feel fine! I could have lived with the prolapse but I must say some other things have improved since the op that I didn't think had been associated with it. 
    • Posted

Well I am very happy to hear that you are doing well. I hope it continues and just wondering did you get the sling type of sugery or what type of sewing procedure did you have. Some have told me they had some sort of fold over type sewing up.
    • Posted

Carol, you must of had a uterus prolapse I am assuming because you had a hysterectomy, not a prolapse bladder repair. Once the uterus is removed there is room for the other organs to start falling down in the vagina area as well. I hope you continue to feel fine and it wouldn't hurt to do some pelvic floor exercises to keep your pelvic floor strong to protect your other organs (bladder etc) in tact.
    • Posted

Yes, you're right Sorry! Uterus prolapse which pushed bladder out of place. Bladder was stitched back into place. I've done pelvic floor exercises for years and don't believe any of it helped me. What I intend to do now is no more bearing down exercises at the gym ie. Squats. I am going to do all yoga and Pilates classes now. I ticked every box for placing me at high risk of prolapse so don't know if there was anything I could have done to avoid it and who knows maybe if I hadn't been doing those pelvic floor exercises I may have needed it sooner. BTW my mother and both sisters had hysterectomies, all at a much younger age than me. Interesting. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.