How many years

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 48 years of age. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with osteopenia. Can anyone tell me how often should a bone scan be done? Some people say it is every 5 years.

aabb

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am seriously considering not bothering any more as I won't take any of the drugs on offer at present. Are you doing anything to help your bones like vitamin K2 or exercises, etc?

Every year or two is sufficient if you want to keep a check though!

• Posted

I exercise, take Starflower oil, Sage tablets and Adcal tablets. I was on injections and HRT for endometrosis for 3 years and it was my a different gynocologist that suggested this scan. I was confused as i was always lead to believe that the HRT would stop this, unfortunately that is not always the case. As a result of having osteopenia I am not allowed the injections or HRT again.

aabb

• Posted

Are you sure it's because of the bone thinning (which is normal as we age) or because there can be risks using HRT to treat endometriosis as you approach menopause? I think there is a risk of cancer.

Add Vitamin K2 t your supplements, and make sure your diet includes other bone supporting micronutrients, like magnesium, boron, etc.

• Posted

my gyno thinks it is because of the HRT. To me it should have been explained a lot more before i took it.

aabb

• Posted

In the UK its generally about 5 yrs between scans. I was told by a consultant that 2 years is the minimal repeat time to see any meaningful changes.

• Posted

Maybe add vitamin K2 which puts the calcium onto the bones. check your vitamin D levels in your blood test. Also, magnesium is vital so check that too. Many foods help as well. A few include yoghurt, prunes and bony broth.

All the best, Kathleen.

• Posted

Unfortunately i am fruit, dairy and pigs meat intolerant. All the foods i love I can only eat a small amount of.

aabb

• Posted

Check out the lists of foods then as there are so many and have some that you are able to tolerate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.