how much anti-inflammatory

Posted , 3 users are following.


I was diagnosed with cervical spondylitis when I was 27 ( had a severe fall when I was 16 yrs old...fell 2 stories), am 48 now and moved to Wales almost 2 yrs ago from South Africa and since being here, my pain has increased in intensity. Used to get steroid injections and am aware that I wont get that here in the U.K. I now suffer extreme nausea due to the pain and can only dry retch, as the valve below the oesophagus was tightened yrs ago and now prevents me from throwing up. I would appreciate if others with this condition could tell me what the maximum dosage of Ibruprofen one can take. Taking the normal dosage (2) does not alleviate the searing pain or spasms.

I am also very confused. After x-rays, all dr,s have said cervical spondylitis and not cervical spondylosis. Been told that I dont have arthritis and yet this is not ankylosing spondylitis, which 1 dr said it was..(he never saw the x-rays)...really confused even after numerous x-rays and dr,s. I am almost on the verge of giving up hope of getting effective pain killers from dr,s here. Do the exercises, use heated neck bags and nothing much helps, especially when I get a flare up.

Need to know if increased dosage of Ibuprofen would help.


0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted


    Under no circumstances increase the dosage of Ibuprofen. If you have a gastric problem it can be made worse by Ibuprofen. You would do better to speak to your GP about an alternative. Sounds like you need a neurologist to send you for a MRI scan to properly check for spondylosis. Xrays won't show it.

    Read back through the many posts here, particularly the earlier ones, as there is a lot of good advice to be found through other people's experiences.

    Good Luck


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted


    I agree with the above. Your GP should be able to prescribe stonger painkillers if the ibuprofen aren't working. Sometimes to have to insist. Also, an MRI would help clarify your actual condition and you should ask for a referral to neurologist or physiotherapist to set this in motion.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi again and thanx for giving me that advice. Will try again for stronger painkillers. Have been to an orthopedic surgeon and neurologist and had an MRI and the orthopedic said it was spondylitis and that I will eventually fuse but that I dont have ankylosing spondylitis. The name written on his statement to my GP also shows Spondylitis, hence the confusion on my side.

    Thanks again

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up