How much can one depend on advice given here???

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have started to become involved in some of the intriguing discussions found in different groups. There seems to be a general thread with the majority offering advice without the slightest attempt to qualify what they suggest with solid evidence. 

Without going into detail, thinking something may be so, is a long way from knowing it with any certainty. Just because B follows A does not indicate that A caused B to happen. If the reader cares to look at the majority of advice given it goes along the lines of " I did this, I felt better, so my advice is you do it as well"

Sounds good in principle but here is the snag, night follows day, but does day cause night?? A bit philosophical I know, however what I'm getting at is, should we believe what we read here, or should we use a large dose of skeptisism. Perhaps we should head for the educational section of this site and become more savvy about our condition. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

David75082

3 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

david75082, on this or any other site if I see something new I always try to research what ever it is. Each individual is different, what may work for one person may or may not for the next, but if you have done your research you will be ahead of the game. Good luck researching.
  • Posted

quite agree - there is some tosh. as there is on many sites.

An evidence based scientific approach is best however there are people who share their real experiences of managing a health condition which can be helpful.

I'd suggest you continue to check facts with GP / reliable website before you make any serious changes; which you are probably doing are already!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.