how much cq10

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am taking metoprolol 50mg one time a day and have added cq10 100mg. On the bottle it says one to two a day. Would it be ok to take two? Has anyone seen any results?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you asking about the CoQ10?

I don't think it would hurt, but I also don't think it would help. I'm a big fan of CoQ10 but am not aware of any dose dependent benefits.

What benefits are you expecting from the CoQ10?

• Posted

Yes coq10 sorry, I would hope it would help lower my blood pressure some, and or repair any damage my HBO has caused. 
    • Posted

Sonmon...don't be too drawn in by the COQ10...I looked into this a few years ago,& was told by at least 2 pharmacists that there's no real proof this works to lower bp. You're taking 50mg Metropolol...if this isn't lowering your bp., you need to consult your Dr. By the way, do read up on Metropolol in the forum.

Given the choice, I'd choose Atenolol any day of the week over Metropolol. 

• Posted

@Mike, good point about the atenolol, I've been using that with moderate success, although it seems most doctors in the US today prefer the metoprolol.

I don't think CoQ10 is going to have any kind of immediate effect on BP, although it might help a little long-term, and especially if you're not eating a lot of red meat for health reasons it might be just good policy to take some CoQ10 - and double-especially if you're also taking a statin!

If you need more BP help, in the US it's very standard to prescribe a beta blocker, a diuretic, an ACE/ARB, and a calcium channel blocker.  Many people are on all four at the same time.  Apparently in the UK they like to try them one at a time.  For me it turned out some good old hctz diuretic was the real ticket.  I don't know of any supplement that has dramatic effects on BP.  There are some foods that do, but they tend to be short-term effects so either you eat the same thing every day, or stay with the drugs instead.

• Posted

jx41870...Believe me...you don't want Metropolol. Here in Canada there are some doctors who would prescribed the Metropolol, or the Atenolol. Unfortunately for some patients, they don't know the problems that a lot of people have experienced with the Metropolol. Have a read on the forum here about it.

Metropolol is fat soluable., whereas Atenolol is water soluable. I had horrific headaches when on Metropolol a few years ago. The headaches were so bad, they scared me. I could set my watch by the time the headaches hit. Finally I came off. A while later my then-doctor wanted to prescribed a beta blocker again, & I was hesitant until he said he was prescribing Atenolol. I've had no problems with it. I got the information about the difference between the two from reliable Pharmacist people. 

I'm not all that familiar with statins, but I do know some people have had nightmarish experiences with them. ...they do more harm than good, but everyone is different. Personally, I will NOT even consider taking a statin, not that I need anything like that. 

Some doctors will prescribe an ARB/ACE on it's own to see if bp comes down. If it doesn't they may increase the dosage. Failing that, they may add something,...could be a diuretic, beta blocker or Calcium Channel blocker, & YES some people are on all four at the same time. In the UK if they like to try them one at a time, that could very well be the answer. It's the same as I've just mentioned. I wouldn't want to take multiple pills when one will do the trick, or even if the dosage is increased for that one medication. I'm on 4...but I tell you one thing, I'm blaming the previous doctor. He's young..cocky-know-it-all. I was nervous going to the office, waiting my turn, & even in his presence. Half the time I didn't know if he was listening to me because his focus was on the computer.At one point he made me feel as though it was my fault the medication wasn't working. I returned to my previous doctor 2 years ago., & wish I'd never left in the first place. Yes I'm still taking the same medication, but he & I will have a discussion in a few months. 

Some people suggest certain foods to help lower bp..but who wants to eat the same thing every day? Also, what about when one wants to go on holiday? 

As mentioned in my previous post., my Pharmacist friend told me that there is no scientific proof that CoQ10 lowers bp. Why take something that's likely useless?????

• Posted

CoQ10 can have other benefits besides BP, like dramatically increasing aerobic and non-aerobic athletic performance - and possibly your heart's performance in case of blockages and other problems.

I was working out at the gym umpty years ago and playing around with different vitamins and supplements, and the different it made when I used CoQ10, primrose oil, and B12 - was just ridiculous.  I'm pretty sure the difference was the CoQ10.  I'd love to structure a formal study to prove it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.