How much daily Potassium intake while on Lisinopril?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am currently taking Lisinopril 30mg for high blood pressure. I do not have any kidney troubles. I read that one should limit Potassium intake while on Lisinopril as it may cause Hypokalemia or Hypotension. Normally, the daily Potassium intake should be 4700mg per day. How much should the intake be while on Lisinopril?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bill,

I personally wouldn't take a potassium supplement at all unless it had been prescribed by a doctor. This is one of the few elements you really shouldn't mess with as it can affect your heart.

I'd advise googling potassium-rich foods, as it's almost impossible to OD if you're taking it that way. Otherwise ask your doctor about supplement doses.

• Posted

I asked my cardiologist about this a few weeks ago. I drink a lot of vegetable juices and was worried. My kidney tests were normal so he said not to worry.
    • Posted

Vegetable juice in moderation is unlikely to produce a potassium overdose. 

It's not totally impossible to OD on natural foods, but you really have to go some to do that!

I recall a case in the UK medical literature 40 years ago where a guy died of liver damage due to vitamin A overdose from drinking carrot juice. It turned out he'd been juicing a whopping 6lb (nearly 3kg) of carrots every day for almost a year and drinking the stuff. He'd been repeatedly warned by his doctor, especially when he turned bright yellow due to the caroteine, but persisted with his obsession.

As long as you're not consuming more vegetables in juice form than you could reasonably eat in whole form, you won't OD on potassium or anything else.

• Posted

As soon as you start taking virtually any BP med the management of your electrolytes - sodium, potassium, magnesium - and maybe others, becomes an issue.  Any drug that relieves BP might cause you to retain too much electrolyte.  Any diuretic may cause you to lose to much electrolyte, one or all.  And apparently there's no easy way to measure any of these at home.

So far, for me, everything in moderation has proved sufficient.  Not but that I'd sure like to know my numbers any day the BP is in the wrong place.

• Posted

Thank you all. This has been very helpful. I do not take Potassium Supplements, but I do eat a few high potassium foods regularly like bananas, papaya, carrots, garlic etc.  However, I still probably reach only half of the recommended daily intake. So, sounds like I can continue without worrying. Thanks again everyone!
  • Posted

Hello Cinephilebill!

?Average Banana   422 mg Potassium. 

Average Orange    174

I eat at least one Banana Sandwich EVERY NIGHT as part of my Weight Loss Program. (Don't laugh - I've lost 22 Pounds so far!)

?I discussed this "Banana/Potassium Issue" with my Cardiologist.  I do not have Heart Problems but was checked out extensively prior to a surgery.  He said He saw no issues whatsoever with one or even Two Bananas each day.  I also have a Urologist who watches my Labs.

I get an annual Physical and Potassium always normal.

?I currently take ONE 10mg. Lisinopril Morning and One in  Evening.  (10mg X 2)

?I am a 70 Year Old Male and when I lose 18 more pounds Dr. thinks I will be completely off Lisinopril as I'm been cutting them in half recently as BP getting close to Normal.  I was 38 Pounds Overweight when I started Last Summer.

I understand the Elevated Potassium Levels can be an Issue with certain Individuals - but not very common.

?I would not personally start eating 6 Bananas and 12 oranges per day - But I DID have one of each last night!

?Good Luck with Your BP Meds. Check you BMI via WebMD or another good site to see if your elevated BP could be tied directly to excessive weight!

Take care!   Ernie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.