How much does Bisoprolol affect Heart Rate.

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi I take Bisoprolol as I am suffering from congenital heart failure. I am told I will need open heart surgery to correct a faulty valve (dont know terminology) but my weight was a major problem. I was told I needed to lose a significant amount before surgery could be considered. I have lost 8 and half stone now. I have been using a heart rate monitor for all of my walking/swimming exercise, as I was told a calculation of Kcals burned by heart rate was the most accurate way to work out how many calories I have burned during exercise. I was then told as I am taking a beta-blocker the calculations are inaccurate as my heart is being kept at a slower BPM. Is there a figure by which you can say that beta blocker slows the heart by x amount? Could I then recalculate to compensate or am I better off throwing the HRM in the bin?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It's difficult to say. If you had a record of your Heart rate / s from before you started the Bisoprolol this could help you make a reasonable estimate. For me it knocks off 10 -12 bpm @ 5 mg smile
  • Posted

That's while resting, to be honest I haven't got a clue how it effects it whilst exercising redface
  • Posted

I am on the same dose Benny. When I sat at my computer for an hour testing, my HR was 54 average for an hour. When I swim I struggle to get it above 75 bpm per hour. I guess when I am resting the drugs are still slowing my heart down to 54. I cant actually swim any faster and I read some people have hr's of 150 plus when exercising.
  • Posted

Yes it slows your Heart whatever you are doing smile If you have congenital heart failure and are awaiting surgery for it then you don't really want 150 bpm, that'd be suicidal cheesygrin My bpm is at about 58 - 62, 54 is good, any lower and you might start to feel a bit wobbly smile

Slow and steady is good, just as long as you are still losing weight then that's what matters smile

• Posted

Hey Benny this may sound like a weird question but are you a GLC fan? :-)

• Posted

I dunno, what is it question smile
  • Posted

Said it may sound weird. There is a band called goldie looking chain and one of their members is called Benny Blanco. There is also an American rapper goes by that name also :-)
  • Posted

Oh right, they must like gangster movies too, Benny Blanco (from The Bronx) is from the movie Carlito's Way cheesygrin
  • Posted

You learn something new every day :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.