How much exercise is safe with PoTS Syndrome?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im pretty active and have been most of my life (F, 17) but since being diagnosed with PoTS the doctor advised me to keepup exercise but to ease myself in and out of each session and not aim for competitive levels of fitness. I take a martial arts class once a week for an hour and the cardio isnt an issue but rolls and grounwork often make me dizzy due to the swift changes in position and orientation.

At the moment i am increasing my cardio levels and have started a monthly press up challenge (beggining Feb1st) to do 50 pressups a day. My mum is worried as she thinks this is more intense than what the doctor advised, can anyone else with PoTS let me know how much/how intense they have been able to exercise and whether it has had a detrimental effect on the symptoms of the condition?

Thanks everyone smile 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chilli, I am unable to do much at all. I was all into exercise and physical life style but I have deteriorated. I have trouble walking 100 yards without my heart rate and blood pressure going nuts. I would suggest you consult your doctor, I tended to age with mum.

Good luck and God bless, Ken

• Posted

Thank you, i have doctors appointment soon so will be discussing this with them but its good to get an idea of other peoples experience
  • Posted

Everyone has different symptoms and severity. My personal experience has been to push yourself as much as possible. Modify you exercise to accommodate feelings of dizziness. Days you feel you can not get out of bed make yourself. Keep a good sleep pattern. If you give up you will become deconditioned. Once this happens you will have a huge battle to fight to get yourself back to where your at now. I have met people that have given in to their symptoms. Some of them couldn't walk anymore. After weeks of a set schedule, physical therapy, bio feedback they were able to stand and walk by themselves. I don't know your personal problems but I don't understand why your doctor would recommend that. Do what your able to do now. You will have good and bad days. On your good days don't overdo what your body has become use to. If you walk a mile a day and you wake on a good day don't walk more. On bad days force yourself to walk that mile even if it takes extra time. The key to fighting POTs takes a lot of determination. There are days my symptoms are so bad I can hardly get out of bed. I won't give in. Try not to take naps. I your tired a lot of times in my experience if I get up and become active I feel better. This is never going to go away. How you choose to deal with it is a lot of what will determine your quality of life. 

• Posted

Thank you for sharing this and letting me know, thats generally where ive been in terms of pushing myself and wanting to exercise well but i do have trouble with keeping up motivation for anything more than a couple of weeks. 

Thank you for the advice, its helpful hearing the determination you have to keep going 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.