How much heavy breathing is safe from causing another pneomothorax?

Posted , 4 users are following.

To my understanding, cause of penmorhotax is related to poor breathing techniques. I tested this by breathing deeply after feeling pain and then there was relief in minutes and improved more in half hour or 1 hr. 

What breathe technique should I use when doing intensive activities like lifting weights, sex, etc.? 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Broody,

What's the exact procedure you had done? Do you know?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'dripping', but I can tell you a few things that were absolutely freaking me out initially and I think I went to the ER like 3 or 4 times in the first month or two after the surgery. 

1. Gurggling/bubbling - this has continued to happen for 3 to 4 months or more after the surgery and it like was exactly what I feared it to be - air escaping the lung. Apparently it's common to happen since I had a bullectomy done (25% of my lung was cut out and removed). 

2. Shoulder blade pain - this one is again tricky since it's a common pain you have when your lung actual collapses. Apparently it happens due ot trauma to your diaphragm. This still happens now, 2 years after the surgery. 

3. Lower back (or mid-back) pain similar to the actual occurrence of a pneumothorax but different in that it's dull, not sharp. This also happen for about 1 year after the surgery and would get worse with physical effort or when I'd stay in weird positions for extended periods of time

4. Extremely loud noise coming from my belly when I'd get hungry. Yeah, weird, right? Apparently something changed in regards to the intenstines layout and what not and the strongest noises came out of the side with the surgery when I'd get hungry. This lasted for more than 1 year.

5. Ribs/chest pain/burn effects from the destroyed nervous terminations. Sometimes it never heals, sometimes it takes months, 

I can also tell you that I have obsessed over this for MONTHS. I know it's not easy to get over. You cannot and should not put your life on hold thought. 

If you experience too much pain or get tired as easy as you portray, please check in to the ER and have an XRAY done. I know you're scared but trust me, it;'s the best thing you can do.

If the XRAY is clean then you should start to do light exercises. 

Driving should absolutely be fine a few months after th surgery - so unless there's some complications (and I hope there aren't) post-op I would say you might be to sensitive about this, yes.

You will feel a lot of weird things that you're definitely not used to feeling.

The best way I can explain it is feeling your lung specifically inside of your rib cage, and....feeling it touch things -  which you'd previously not used to and it is very strange. 

Hope this answers your Qs - please let me know otherwise.

And, to reiterate, please check in to the ER and have a quick XRAY done (tell them your story). There's no shame in doing this and it will lift a HUGE weight off your shoulders - you'll see.

-Bogdan

• Posted

Thanks Bogdan. I have all of these symptoms that you mention.

I had a total of 2 pig tails inserted in my lung. The first time it didn't work. After the second one didn't inflate the lung I was recomended a bigger tube via VATS. I had surgery Friday evening. My tube was removed after 3 days. I was in the hospital for almost 1 week. I have been at home since end of February. 

Do you ever have days where pain and shortness of breath happen and you are not exactly sure why?

For example, I went somewhere a few days ago. I was standing for maybe 45 minutes. A few days later I notice a gradual increase of pinch pain and shrotness of breath. Today I have shortness of breath and pinching pain sitting up in different postions. It's been almost 4 months since my surgery. Do you think it could be because I was standing too long? Has this happend to you? Am I being too soft?

Cheers

Brody

• Posted

Yes on the pinching pain - maybe less so on the shortness of breath.

Perhaps it's just because you've got unused to physical effort that you lose your breath so easily? I don't know, I'm just guessing - it's very hard to compare not knowing how you actually feel. 

I've had days with odd pains ranging from back pain to shoulder blade to you name it up to 1 year later or so - so it does happen. 

Depending on how VATS went from you in particular and your body the recovery can be longer or shorter, there can be more or less pain. I've heard about people that are still in pain years after.

I hope it won't be the case for your, but I do think you should expect pain and 'odd' feelings to continue for a long time after VATS. In the end, the inside of your body has changed irreversibly. 

• Posted

Thanks for responding Bogdan. I have heard horror stories of people in pain years after VATS. I think your guess about me is right. Today I feel much better than yesterday after sleeping. It seems that broken sleep makes my lung hurt too. How about you?

Cheers,

Brody

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.