how much is enough walking 2 weeks post op THR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am now 14 days post op and feeling utterly bored with the prospect of not driving etc etc... I am now walking to see of I can reach a point where I can go out for a walk alone to alleviate the long days ,  I am now doing 6 flights of stairs minimum ( 13 up and 13 down) and walking about 1500 steps...  is this too much or too little?  I have a static bike as well, can i use that ?  any help please x

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there: one week post op from thr (left) . Lots of precautions, surgery more extensive than they had anticipated due to fracture of hip. This has been like being on a bad acid trip or reliving an Alice in Wonderland sequel!!! No wonder they give so little info. Prior to surgery! Nobody would do it! Having said that, I just want to thank everyone for being on here; I've been searching and searching for fellow "inmates" online so that I don't feel  isolated, stranded or even a little crazy! My surgeon told me not to walk more than 50 feet at a time before I go to see him on May 19th. He takes a conservative approach. I am allowed to get up and walk again throughout the day but not more than 50 feet. The way that I see it, I would do ANYTHING to avoid a revision or to ever have to go through this again so whatever your surgeon suggests or tells you, follow it! Best wishes for a great recovery!
    • Posted

Hi Cindy,

warm welcome to this forum of friendly  fellow hippies .

and .. congratulations on having the surgery -

your surgeon sounds great -  50 feet at a time in these early stages is plenty - were given exercises as well? 

come back here anytime, oka? you can also start your own discussion of course and have a look at :

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147, scroll down to A layman's ... - this website is created by our passionate and great fellow hippy Graham, aka Rocketman -

be gentle with yourself 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Continue to get well, It does feel like a major trial at the onset , I was really worried and felt incredibly ill the first few days, however I am now almost 3 weeks in and feeling much more positive and back in the real world..... well not quite but getting there,   I was very restricted early days becasue I have incredibly low blood pressure and had a reaction to the medication,  Now under control I was advised to do what  can sensibly, everyone has a different story and that can confuse sometimes, do what is best for you and listen to your OWN body, you will get there and it will have been worth it x
    • Posted

Thank you Renee. This is a wonderful place with great people and a ton of great info. It helps to keep me going! Woke up this morning and realized that I was no longer in pain! Amazing. I am so grateful. Today will be a landmark for a first real shower. I'll post about that later. Was thinking about asking for tips on this.
    • Posted

What sort of shower do you have Cindy? Mines over the bath so I got a non slip mat and step in good leg first then op leg gets lifted behind me - don't know if that helps ? Xxxx
    • Posted

That first shower after the operation is amazing, lets you feel human again.

a big milestone.

Yes, there's a lot of very good people here, we are 'family' who have shared a common experience but will mostly never meet each other.

Best wishes on your rollercoaster recovery journey.

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Bini. Yes I have a large walk in shower. Was able to get in this morning. Felt great. I think it was figuring out the logistics of it all before getting in that was making me hesitate. I've got it down now! Lol thanks for your suggestion
  • Posted

Wow, it sounds to me like you're doing A LOT for such an early stage.

I'm 12 weeks now and I don't think I could do what your doing and attempting to do.

Good luck though and do whatever you feel comfortable with X

• Posted

Thank you for your encouraging message, I am now 3 weeks post op and whilst I do have a small limp I am walking with attention to my core and stepping on heel first as suggested, I am not using sticks or crutches and am walking for 15 minutes 2 times a day,  numerous stair climbs , I can feel that somehting is in my hip joint ,, almost like a mild cramp feeling  and stiff still, has anyone any experience of this also when is it ok to get rid of the awful raised loo seat ???? xxx  I hope you continue to progress nicely .
    • Posted

Hi Polly , I was told 6 weeks but theres another post about it that a few people have said / been told 12 weeks . Depends on how low your loo is normally and if you are comfortable / uncomfortable - i hated mine and couldnt wait to get rid so took it off when restrictions lifted at 6 weeks but i know a lot of people usevthem longer . A good test is can you use ones in pubs / cafes / restaurants shops etc comfortably - if so you are probably ok xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.