how much longer L5 s1

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've suffered with (apparant) siatica with once a year bk goes and can't move lasts 24 hours but then go bk to normal,this stared after I had daughter in 2009.on boxing day it litrally went!! Doctor said siatica again signed me off work,a week later I'm in gp totally numb down below and in constant pain,so sent to hospital had mri confirmed prolapse off l5s1 by 10 mm and touching nerve that's why numb and in so much pain,any sined consent they was operating in the am,so come am surgeon came round and decided not to wait 4 weeks. ( no beds in spinal department) sent home with pregablin,tramadol.nephopam and signed of 4 weeks,..........3 weeks in I can do 10 min walk but in agony next day,so I slipped outside last night,instant pain,woke I can't walk,and to top it of went downstairs and my legs went and fell down 2 steps,really don't want to go a&e,sick off not being able to work,school runs feel totall useless

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I suffered Sciatica for over 18 years but now I'm post operative having had a spinal fusion of L4 L% in September last year. Im doing good but read your post with interest.

For what it's worth I tried all sorts of pain relief before my operation and the only thing that really helped me was a large microwave wheat bag. The ones that you pop into the microwave for 90 seconds. It gives warm heat and can be placed over the back and for me it gave more pain relief than any drugs. I was up every two hours every night to do this but it worked for me for the maximun 18 weeks the NHS has to fix you once you have been seen by a Consultant.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Went to see surgeon on Monday.booked in for pre op Friday but may not be done till 24 th so hopefully may be getting somewere now
    • Posted

Brill. Hope everything goes well! Keep us posted.
  • Posted

I so hope your being sorted now, but to anyone reading this thread do not forget that under the "Patients Charter" not only should the treatment take no longer than 18 weeks from when you see a consultant to when you receive treatment BUT you also have the right to choose where and which hospital you attend. It may have less waiting lists if you can travel to another County. Worth thinking about...
    • Posted

Hi,I came home last nightfrom hospital had the decompression and microdectomy on l5 s1,well it was worse then they expected wasn't just touching nerve was severly compressed,and got numbness/ pins and needles in left calve and foot,not feeling great was rushed out of hospital by weekend staff,a lot of pain in groin.unable to sit and lay flat,may have to call out of hours docs.as wasn't given a number if any complications after discharged
    • Posted

Heyyyyyy Dugs, your'e gonna be in all kinds of pain for a while as your nerve root has taken a bit of a beating, try not to worry. You'll only be given pain killers from now on so see how you go in the next few weeks, God speed and all the very best .
  • Posted

I would be interested to know from anyone, if the steriod injection has permenatly solved the problem because all I am reading is that ist a temp pain reliever. Considering op post 6 months increases the risk of reherniation wht ais the point if one is going to end up in the same place.

At end of the day there is a blob of disk that has leaked out on to your nerve and it needs removing. Its 90% successful with a careful recovery period of initially 6 weeks.

• Posted

I had seven years of epidurals.. relief was always temporary. Surgery has stopped my sciatica completely at this moment in time.. See my reply to Ang36 in this thread .

I am post Op 5 months and feel so much better with a complete disc removal at L5 and spinal fusion and a titanium block inserted at that level. As my surgeon said " I have jacked you back up to your correct height" His words not mine but its stopped the pain on my nerves so to me he is my hero ....

• Posted

Hi you sound like me, mine started 17 dec and still really bad, had emergency MRI scan 6/1/15 came backL5 S1 nerve impactment also another prolapsed disc also with nerve impact, spinal stenosis and crumbling discs at base of spine, been referred to see consultant not had appointment yet, did your doc offer injections first or was it always a case of this needs an op? What is the op you have been offered, I have been off work 8 weeks desperate to be off medication and out of pain, have no life when will this get better, need answers hopefully you have some of them for me, sorry for the rambling but just desperate for answers 
    • Posted

I know how you feel 1Ang36!

I've been in pain 18momths+. Had misdiagnosis, heavy dose of morphine since last May and only just got appointment to see Orthopedic Clinic as apparently my doc can't refer me straight to consultant?!

• Posted

Hi Ang36

I had exactly the same apart from mine was L4/L5. Prior to having surgery I had 7 years of Caudal Epidurals/Nerve root blocks. By what you are describing I would skip any option for injections and push for the op. Decompression is also done on this typee of op and I have been given some nice metalwork now which has stabilised my spine. I am still not completely pain free however it is more pins and needles and other pains as opposed to sciatic pain. I have been told it is nerves which will eventually calm down. I would say go for the op as it has helped me imensely.

Best of luck. I am going to try and attach an image later so you can see what I had done if it helps to reassure you.smile

• Posted

This was my spinal xray before the operation.... you can see the instability in the lower part of my spine where it is compressed and also after I had the surgery. The implants can be seen where I had the L5 disc removed completely and then a clamp applied to my spine to keep the titanium block in place. It sounds horrific but here I am 5 months later feeling pretty damn good smile

• Posted

That looks painful, I hope to god I don't have to wait 7 years to get sorted, I've had back problems for at least 25 years slipped a disc lifting something I shouldn't of repeated episodes of really bad lower back pain but nothing like this hope I get sorted sooner rather than later, only thing is worried about undergoing back surgery, how long did you have to have off work, only I've already been off 8 weeks and no wages because I'm self employed just worried how much longer I need to be off work. Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Good luck in your future recovery
    • Posted

hello again

I had 8 weeks off work after the op. My surgeon said ideally I should be off twelve weeks but because I work for an American Company they dont believce in sick pay and so I had to return. I went carefully and I am fine now pretty much. It was painful after the op and I was scared stupid before I went under the knife, but I did research and knew I had a good surgeon. I couldnt cope with being woken with pain every two hours priour to my operation which is where I was. Id wake every two hours every night in complete pain.Now I'm post op I'd tell anyone in the kind of pain I was before to go push their GP to refer asap to the local back surgeon. The sooner the referral the sooner the clock ticks on the NHS maximum waiting list of 18 weeks before treatment.

Good luck to you too.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing this Fitch .... I'm about t
    • Posted

Oops hit send too quickly!

I've been told I need to have a decompression of l5 and fusion of l5/s1 with pedicle screws... Have been in agony for six months but equally terrified of the op! Thanks for sharing your story, it's reassuring to know that it does work

• Posted

Hi LNR

on reflection was probably the best descision I've made in a long while. I can now walk over fields with the dogs for four miles or mo with no problem. I still have a bit of nerve sensations but NO Sciatic pain. it just feels like im standing on broon handles occasionally. I can live with that kind of sensation, the sciatic pain I couldnt have continued.

It does work so feel reassured that all being well youll feel a new you once it has been done and try not to worry about all the side effects they have to go through. Just be positive and think how you'll feel when your not in such pain.

Good luck smile

• Posted

So happy to hear you are well and not experiencing that kind of pain anymore.

You are right, we can all tend to get caught up in all the research and side effects, especially negative comments and unsuccessful stories - but positivity will get anyone through this difficult decision and hopefully all will be fine.

Take care and thanks again smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.