how much pain is there right after a ovary removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

How pain have you experience right after the procedure  of a ovary removal. When you wake up.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Deb,

Depending on the procedure to remove the ovary.my own experience two years ago. I went in to hospital early am. Had keyhole surgery to remove both ovaries, and was discharged in the afternoon. No pain just have to take it easy . You will be given all the advice for after care. Hope this may be of some use and lessen your concerns..Please feel free to ask anything else about this. Take care Jackie

• Posted

No Debb just a bit stiff as if you have done excersize. Your body will let you know how and when you need to take it easy..I was in my sixties and very fit but I took tjme before i did anything too energetic, no lifting or pulling. I am a keen gardener so was a bit frustrated.I got there in the end. Any help Take care jackie
    • Posted

Thank you Jackie. . I'm just scared. Never had any surgery before.  I'm in my 60 also. Npt in very good shape. I suffer from fibromyalgia  too.
    • Posted

Have you been told what type of surgery will be done?.Whatever method, it has been performed a million times, so do not feel scared. Speak to your GP about your concerns and do not worry. As for the fibromyalgia tell him/her that is also a concern for you..Please keep talking I know it helps. Take care Jackie.
    • Posted

Hi Jackie

Can i ask, did they tell you they might do a hysterectomy?  Did you have to choose what you wanted doing?  I couldn't understand the consultant I saw very well, but wondered if, because of my age (60) they would need to remove everything.  It's good to hear that you were fairly pain free after the op.  Did they also remove fallopin tubes? They have told me they are 98% sure it will be keyhole. 

Sorry to jump in here Debb.

Best wishes

Kathy

• Posted

Hi kathy,

I suppose I may have been very lucky as I have never had any problems with my lower region. I did however suffer a UTI infection and was given antibiotics which seemed to clear the problem,very soon I had another attack. My GP sent me for an ultrasound here at my local hospital in Wales. They discovered a shadow on one of my ovaries, which scared me senseless. Very soon after this I was sent to Hereford to have another scan,where I was told there was every likelehood it would be benign. This confirmed my fears were lessened,and was asked should they take only the infected ovary or both. As I was no longer of child bearing age I selected to have both removed to prevent a reacurrence.

Within days I was given a date to go and have the surgery at Hereford early am discharged early pm. By keyhole surgery The findings were benign and a mass equivalent to a five month foetus was removed. No other procedures were nesessary.  I had no bloating or pain to give any indication something was not right apart from the two UTIs. So all in all I do consider myself very fortunate. My health is back to form and I actually feel a healthier person, much more stamina. So how long this had been lurking I have no idea. Just very grateful that I was seen to very quickly. Hope this helps, do not be afraid to ask the silliest questions it is your body and you need to know exactly what will and can be done for you. Thinking of you keep in touch and let me know how things proceed with you.

JackieX

• Posted

Thank you Jackie.  I will certainly keep in touch.  I had a CT scan last week and am seeing the consultant again on Wednesday afternoon, so hope to know more then.

Kathy xx

• Posted

Hi Kathy, is the meeting on Wednesday for results?

Write a list of things you might forget to ask at the time as we all do,we sometimes feel so overwhelmed we forget the silliest things we should of asked. Take care thinking of you on Wednesday.

Jackie.

• Posted

Thanks Jackie.  I asked to see him again because I couldn't understand what he was saying to me properly (he has a strong Italian accent). When we left his office my husband and I both thought he said different things.  I though he said that if it wasn't cancer he would remove ovaries and fallopin tubes, but my husband thought he said hysterectomy (because of my age?).  I'm hoping he will have the results of the CT scan and that it will be good news.  You are right - I did feel overwhelmed.  Writing things down is a good idea, and I think I'll write his responses down also.

Thanks for thinking of me Wednesday.  I'll let you know how I get on.

Best wishes

Kathy xx

• Posted

Glad I may have helped a little, if you are with your husband that is even better. Do not be rushed or feel you are not taking in what is said,and you are taking up his time....this is your time so get to know everything you feel vital for your own peace of mind. Now do something nice for yourself and enjoy X
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your support Jackie. smile

Kathy xx

• Posted

Hello Kathy,

How are you today, do hope you have found some time for yourself,and are less concerned. I know it is a silly thing to say as it is so difficult to switch off when something is pestering us. You will know on Wednesday and you sound positive about the questions and answers you expect. I always think that when I go to the dentist it is for my own good, (which I loathe.) I know I am in safe hands and let them get on with it. It is far better to know there is a problem that can be solved rather than not knowing at all. Feeling better?  What part of the country are you in if that is not a too personal question to ask?

Jackie xx

• Posted

Hi Jackie.  Thanks for thinking of me.  I had good news this afternoon.  My doctor rang to say that the CT scan showed that the cyst was 'highly unlikely' to be cancerous.  Now I just need to get through Wednesday's appointment and hope I can understand the consultant.  I'm wondering if he did say that he would do a hysterectomy because of my age.  I see other people on this site have been told this.  It just bothers me that this is a bigger operation and may take a lot longer to recover from.  I don't understand why they feel the need to do a hysterectomy rather than just ovaries and fallopin tubes just because of age.  I am in Oxfordshire.

xx Kathy

• Posted

Hi Debb.  I also am 60 and waiting to hear about the date for the removal of a large cyst on my right ovary.  Do you have a date for your op yet?

Best wishes

Kathy

• Posted

Now they say i need a hystrorectomy. 
    • Posted

Im sixty so they think it would be best.
    • Posted

Ah yes.  I'm wondering if this is what they will say to me as I'm 60 too.
    • Posted

kathy that is brilliant news, whatever the type of surgery that the consultant decides is right for you will be for the right reasons.

Take care jackie XX

• Posted

Thanks Jackie.  You are right.  You take care also.

xx Kathy

• Posted

Hi ,yeah next tuesdsy. Both ovaries i'm scared to death. Got to do it though. How are you doing? 
    • Posted

Hi Debb

OK thanks.  Scared like you though.  At least by the end of Tuesday it will all be over and you can start on the road to recovery. Are they still doing a hysterectomy?  I am seeing the consultant tomorrow (Wednesday) so hope I will find out what they are going to do then.  I'm 60 also so wonder if this is what they will do for me.

Take care and try not to worry.  Keep in touch.

Sending hugs.

xx Kathy

• Posted

Thinking about you for Tomorrow Kath, all will be well have agood night.

LX Jackie

• Posted

Debb is it done? do hope everything is good with you, please let us all know. Thinking of you.

Jackie X

• Posted

Thanks Jackie.  Just want it over now.  Hope all will become clear tomorrow.

Best wishes

Kathy xx

• Posted

No probs Kathy, talk if you need to send a personnel e mail if you wish.

Jackie XX

• Posted

Thanks Jackie.  That's very kind of you.  I may well do that tomorrow.

xx Kathy

• Posted

Hi Debb.  Just thinking about you and wondering how you are?

xx Kathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.