How much pain should I be feeling ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I’m 7 weeks post op from ankle surgery, plates, screws and wires were inserted. I’m in my first week of weight bearing and am starting to feel pain around we’re the plate and screws are. Is this normal at this point in my recovery ? 

Thank you in advanced 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different, I have two plates and 8 screws and I didn’t feel any pain. I was around 9-10 weeks before weight bearing. I would say take it slow listen to your doctor and don’t do anything that will cause any damage to your ankle. It takes time for the ankle to heal . I’m 4 mths since ankle major orif ankle surgery and I’m doing great . IT TAKES TIME 
    • Posted

Hi Christina,

Following this discussion as hopefully I will be weight bearing in a couple of weeks. Let me know how you get on.

Kenneth, sounds like you had a good recovery. If you have any tips for when I start weight bearing that would be great.

Thanks

• Posted

I really haven’t had much pain till last night during the night it was hurting quite a bit but this morning I’ve woken up and it’s back to normal 

Good luck !!! 

• Posted

Glad it's back to normal for you. Keeping my fingers crossed mine is the same! 

• Posted

Yes I had a great recovery, my advice to everyone I speak to is prayer first , listen to your doctors, physical therapy and push yourself when need to.... recovering from ankle surgery is tough but you can make it, don’t get down on yourself. I had a good support system from my wife and daughter which helped me a lot . 
    • Posted

Thank you, I'll give all of that a try and luckily my other half is very supportive too. He keeps joking that when I'm recovered he's going to sit and be waited on for a couple of weeks which will be well deserved!

• Posted

It’s going to be painful but I say listen to your body! Give yourself the time you need. I wasn’t weight bearing for 18 weeks. I had 3 breaks, 1 plate and 6 screws. A drunk driver hit me.  9 months later I’m still in physical therapy and  have pain. My pain is from hardware, bone spur on big toe and tight tendons. My advice to you is to continue to elevate, ice when swollen and start off nice and easy!!! When you first start to weight bear just allow your foot to rest on the floor. No walking or real weight on it until dr says. Do not rush the healing process. I wish you a full recovery! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.