How much prednisone to start with for polymyalgia rheumatica?

Posted , 11 users are following.

i have just been diagnosed with pmr and have been started on 20 mg. I haven't had relief so far. What can I expect?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am on some pretty heavy prescription pain medication. Do you think they are working against me? 

sandra28555

• Posted

Depends what it is - if you are on NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen) they can cause gastric problems themselves and in combination with pred the risk is far higher. Other stuff - no idea, because they are so rarely used in Europe.

If what you have really is PMR then all the pain meds in the world are unlikely to make a difference: pred is the only medication that will effectively manage the pain because it reduces the inflammation that is the cause of the pain and stiffness.

If what you have is NOT PMR, then the pred may not make a great deal of difference - that is taken as a possible criterion. If there is a lot of improvement with pred, probably PMR. If there is little or none - probably not.

• Posted

Hello Sandra,  I'm quite new to this too having been diagnosed 6 weeks ago.  My GP started me on 20mg and I have to say, that within about 8 hours of taking the first dose I was almost pain free.  I remained on 20mg for 2 weeks and apart from a little soreness in my upper arms first thing in the morning, I was fine.  My GP then suggested dropping to 15mg for 3 weeks which some people on this site regard as too big a drop but I've been fine, apart from a few weird side effects.  I am now down to 12mg which I've been taking since last Saturday, had a few niggles to start with but nothing major and now it's just my arms again first thing but the stiffness wears off after a couple of hours.  I sincerely hope you get some relief soon.  I guess we all react differently and I think I was lucky in that I was diagnosed within 4 weeks before the PMR had  got a really tight hold.  Best of luck
  • Posted

I'm so glad you've finally got your diagnosis! i'm not glad you have PMR though!

Everyone else has answered your question, but give it a day or two and you should be feeling significantly better - otherwise it's probably not PMR.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.