How much sport can I do after a bi lateral PE

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi about 8 weeks before Christmas I had a bi-lateral PE, on leaving hospital one nurse said to rest and do nothing for 6 months, another nurse said do what you want your body will let you know if you shouldn't. My INR has not been between 2 or 3 (recommended) for about 8 weeks.

I'm training for a triatlon I'm running, swimmimg and cycling regularly I would just like to know if this is okay?? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gerard

I'm not a medical person, so I can't say which of your nurses' responses is correct, but I do want to tell you my experience. I had breathlessness just before Christmas 2013 and a CT scan revealed a "minor PE" as the doctor called it. After injections and a six-month course of a warfarin substitute (Xarelto - I think it was called) I felt as fit as previously and I did a 100-mile walk and a 700-mile cycle ride in the summer of 2014 (and I'm no spring chicken at 76). This doesn't mean that you will be the same, but it does show that some people do recover completely - I sincerely hope you do too. Best wishes for the triathlon!

• Posted

Thank you Robert for your reply. I think as I feel okay I'll keep training. I hope When I get to 76 I can do a fraction of what you can. Look after yourself - All the best!!
  • Posted

Hi gerard26274

im not a medical person either so I can too can only tell you my experience too. I had an op in dec 14 and had to rest up. I developed bilateral blood clots in my main pulmonary arteries of my lungs. The doctor in the hospital told me no exercise for at least 3 months. When I asked the anti Coag nurse she said she couldn't over rule the doctor. She did mention light swimming....but sadly because my op was on my foot I could at the time due to bandage and scar.

It wasn't because of my INR it was to stop the clots breaking off from the clots that was there.

I had DVT & PE in 2003 so this is my 2nd episode! 😔

Hope this helps

p.s. And yep Robert36200 I hope I'm as active as you at 76. Fab 😃

• Posted

Pps - I too feel fine but won't be doing any exercise as I was told as I don't want any clots breaking off and 3 months will soon fly. I'd prefer to be safe than sorry...but that's just me. 😉

i normally wouldn't listen but with blood clots I've always behaved 😉

• Posted

gerard26274,

I had a large PE about the same time as you, october '14. Towards the beginning of september '14 feeling better -, I started, gently doing tension exercises and push ups -building up sets and reps to 100 daily. No running or long walks though...Approaching third week of December - I caught a cough. VERY BAD! It set me back about 3 weeks before I was mobile again.

From January onwards, I started walking daughter to school approx 20-25mins each way. This tuesday 10th Feb, i walked an extra hour, however on the return trip, I carried my daughter on my shoulders for about 6-7mins.

Wednesday 11th feb, back to 20-25mins to and from school only. Wednesday night, I became easilly irritable and this morning - I can feel some sensations/twinges behind my left thigh, a little bit breathless etc...

I've decided to not to do high impact or strenuous exercises for the moment, which is a shame because I really enjoy it.  I am also going to see out my six months on xarelto and I have requested with my doctor to investigate the causes for my clotting.

• Posted

I'm 59 y/o and had a PE in left lung on 17 Jan ,  got back on my bike today for the first time since and did 15miles - I felt really great and energised afterwards.   
    • Posted

That's fab news.

I think everyone is different though. I was diagnosed on 16th Jan and wouldn't be able to go far on my bike or treadmill today although over the last couple of days I've started to feel better than I had been

• Posted

I agree that everyone is different Curlyhairdo.

I was admitted into hospital Oct 14. In addition to 35mins walk x 5 days, I've walked 6miles three times this week, 1st March 15, and I have started light resistance exercises in my upper hald of body. I still feel I have a lump in my chest though I hope with the increase blood circulation in my legs, the remaining clots in my lower half will dissolve....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.