How much supplement is too much in an attempt to help our bones?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I can't have seafood with the exception of fish so I am taking fish oil supplements as well as zinc. I also have vitamin D3 because it has been prescribed for me from two doctors. K2 is another one that has been recommended from other people after reading about its benefits. Magnesium is another one. This also helps with leg cramps.

The zinc one also includes vitamin A, B6, maganese and magnesium.

Does this mean I am doubling up on magnesium?

Also, there is a warning for zinc that you can have too much.

Evidence is starting to come through that we can help our bones by taking supplements. 

I do have calcium but have not been taking it as much because of other supplements. 

I have foods that include some of these nutrients such as avocados, prunes, meat and vegetables.

So, how much supplement help can we take before it is too much?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleen

I am encountering the same problem and am finding it very difficult to determine whether I am actually overdosing on Calcium, Vitamin D3, Omega-3, Copper and various others that I haven't checked out yet.

Calcium is contained in a tablet that I take morning and evening. The same tablet also contains D3. My Rice or Coconut milk is fortified with Calcium, vitamins D and B12. My fish (mackerel) contains Omega-3 and so does my Chia seeds that I use with my cerial and so it goes on. The list is endless and the more I research, the more confusing it becomes. It seems that there is no definitive upper limit set on most of the supplements although it is stated in various book that calcium can deposit in the arteries if there is insufficient Vitamins D3, K2, zinc and copper to ensure that the calcium is only used for making bones. It does seem that you need an encyclopedic brain and an unlimited source of good information. I'm not sure that any information that you dig up today will still be valid tomorrow since the pundits and those who think that they know the answer, regularly change the goalposts.

I've just ended up doing the best that I can but leaving my mind open to any and all information on the supplements subject. The calcium one frightens me a little because coronary or kidney stone problems are to be seriously avoided, but it was a calcium absorbance deficiency that got me on the osteoporosis bandwagon with a cause totally unrelated to supplements or dietry considerations!

I'm not sure that there is a winning answer on this one.

It's more a case of take care and try use common sense.

Hope that I didn't bore you, just supporting and adding to your comments. Nice to chat with you again

Regards, Colin.

• Posted

Colin, you did not bore me at all. I read all that and particularly thought about the calcium.

Three serves a day for you and four for me is needed. So, do you think you are having more than that all up?

Zinc is the one that concerns me so I need to gauge how much I am having of that.

We also need to understand that fish is not as good as it used to be and neither are many of our other fresh foods. Fish oil supplements have been advised for me to help with arthritis and apparently also good for the bones.

Avocados are back to a reasonable price in Australia at two dollars or less.

We do what we can.

• Posted

Kathleen, I'm fairly certain that I now get enough zinc but the copper is not easy to establish. Because there is an interaction of some sort between copper and zinc and I tend to take them on alternate days, keeping a record in my diary.

Calcium is much more of a worry for me, I haven't a clue what's happening and haven't a lot of hope that I can find out. I'm going onto a citrate version once a day when they arrive. pparently we can absorb more of the citrate variety so that there shouldn't be so much floating around with nowhere to go.

With Zinc, Dr Sue reckons that the RDA is 12-15mg but the more ideal value is 15-20mg so there seems to be a bit of leeway on that.

I think that I need to persuade my friendly locum to get me a blood test done.

No matter how much you do there is always more.

Colin.

• Posted

Kathleen, I'm not certain which posts you have followed but i put forward a modified version af Anhaga's idea and have been executing part of it which required that there be links posted in each of the relevant discussions so that people could get to the posts and then it is up to them to click follow to get the notifications.

This is part of an attempt to keep more technical subjects together and also to not exclude anybody, even accidently.

You will have received notifications of the threads that I posted links for up to now. Assuming that it goes alright, I shall (and maybe others), continue to try and keep the links up-to-date. We'll see how it goes.

Regards, Colin aka Aristotle.

• Posted

Kathleen, On a subject dear to us, My daughter has just given me the news that there is a warning about Rice milk and Arsenic poisoning. As yet, I don't have any details but should have soon.

Got a link and whilst it is important it seems that we have been consuming arsenic for some time. Will have to change toally to the coconut milk.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm319948.htm

There are loads of other links on the search sites. This one just seemed to have a lower verbiage.

Bye for now

Colin

• Posted

Moderated text contained an external link. Have to see if the Mods let it go.

Post was about Arsenic and Rice products. Suggest that you do your own search.

• Posted

I may have to send my reply is sections.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that over 50 percent of Americans don't consume adequate magnesium, while approximately 37 percent lack the manganese they need daily.

Through a varied diet that includes plenty of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean protein.

You should have your doctor do a blood serum analysis to see what your levers are the moment which should include zinc.

Too much Magnesium may cause diarrhea.

Magnesium also plays a role in bone health and energy metabolism. In addition, magnesium triggers the activity of over 300 enzymes, helps maintain the electrochemical balance your neurons and muscles need to work and aids in the production of DNA and RNA.

Manganese helps regulate your blood sugar and supports the health of your nervous system. You need it to absorb calcium, break down carbohydrates and fats, and synthesize bones, endocrine hormones, connective tissue, the proteins necessary for blood coagulation and the enzyme superoxide dismutase, a powerful antioxidant. I take 1000 mgs of calcium citrate three times a day for Osteoporosis, in the hips, but I still bowl 40 games a week at age 71.. Your body cannot absorb more than that at one time.

Also Vitamin D3 is produced by the exposure of the sun on your body. The recommended dosage is 2000 mgs per day, taken when one dose of calcium is taken.Once again the doctor need to test the calcium and Vitamin D3 levels in your blood. The maximum, which I take, is 4,000 mgs in the morning. The blood serum test for Vitamin D levels were fine.

You never mentioned if you had Osteoporosis. I did find out that for men, at least in the U.S. the age to be tested is 69-70.

I do allot of research on many topics. The Osteoporosis Foundation sent me an immaculate PDF file which had the same age recommendations for men. I then called the Foundation. They informed me that due to funding problems, they are not able to do other age studies for men.

As for women, I think the testing starts after menopause.I Canada, the age for men is about 65. Oh yes, I asked my Health provider, Kaiser Permanente to see it they would be willing to study their own database for men.  They had no interest. I shall in the future write a letter tot the CEO. I am a retired engineer, but with many hobbies to keep my mind active as well as my body. I hope the info helps. Let me know.

• Posted

That is impressive Joe!

In Australia our levels are tested and although we live in a sunny country most people have been found to be vitamin D 3 deficient.

I am taking all the vitamins and minerals you mentioned plus vitaminK2 and zinc.

I cannot walk that far so do pool exercises in a very warm pool.

Keep posting because your knowledge is appreciated.

• Posted

Last comment. one needs to exersize daily. Maybbe walking 4 miles a day.
  • Posted

Whis may come in several parts,inch I do not know how many characters iam allowed in my responses.

Before I begin, one must daily do weight bearing exersizes. I started to keep files on my reponses by patient.

I am 71 and I was first tested at age 70. These are the guidelines in the U.S I did talk to the osteoporosis foundation after they sent me a wonderful PDF file that proved worthless. I called them to as where the age recommendation for men came from. They told me that they do not have sufficient funds to revise their recommendations. Unfortunately just about every reputable website has the same age recommendation. Now in Canada it is at age 65.

There problem I see is that men once the get a fracture in their hips the mortality rate sky rockets to a maximum of one year!

First I still bowl 30 games a week.

First I had a complete blood test panel done first.

Now it was recommended that one should take 2000 mgs of Vitamin D3. Have been an engineer, I was taught to question everything. Anyway despite my doctor’s recommendations I started out with 4,000   mgs of Vitamin D3. I also recently read some where that one can take 4,000 mgs of D3. Anyway, when I had another blood paned done after a year, the D3 levels were normal, thus every one is different.

With calcium there is an upper limit for the total amount taken in a day. The body can only absorb 1,000 mgs at a time. Thus I take Calcium Citrate three times a day and the D3 in the morning.

Also I had been taking a year ago Magnesium, but it caused diarrhea. The recent blood test came back with magnesium level as normal.

Also, my doctor without telling me the results which were severe, just started me on the pills. I always check everything as mentioned. The pill would have cause ulcers in esophagus which I knew about and told the doctor did not prescribe me the correct medication! He had to go to my gastroenterologist to confirm my findings! He apologized twice to me. Thus I was started on an IV of Reclast once a year. Now if you know anyone who is about to Reclast, make sur that the have some strong pain pills as Narco for at last three weeks. I even developed a phantom pain in my bowling elbow! The sent me to therapy. After the fourth visit I fired the therapist. I then bought a 10 lb. bar and curled it to 160 a day. I then went to 14 lb. weight and curled that to 120 a day. I also was on Narco and Tylenol as needed. After about 7 month the pain went away.

• Posted

I took a pretty good dose of Vitamin D3 for a long time, which was doubled (to 2000 IU plus I got some from a bone supplement and took a tsp cod liver oil daily).  Finally had a blood test for D levels, at the end of winter when levels would be at lowest, and I'm actually approaching toxicity level (not there yet, but close enough that I was advised to cut that standard 2000 IU in half).  I've actually stopped that capsule completely as I'm still getting D from other sources, and one does hope for a reasonable amount of sunshine for a few months.  My doctor will not repeat the D test, at least not for now.  I think I'll ask for it again around the end of the year.  Just to suggest we may need to be a bit careful about suppplementing even the most essential vitamins and minerals!
    • Posted

As I have Crohns my vitaminD is checked twice a year. Women past menopause need one extra calcium portion per day. All my vitamins and minerals are checked so that is lucky for me.

I just go by that. 

• Posted

I've figured out it's probably a problem with my metabolism of Vitamin D caused by sarcoidosis (which I was diagnosed with half a lifetime ago, and which has always been asymptomatic). cry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.