How much time will I need to be "off" of work

Posted , 4 users are following.

I will be working from home but will the pain management medicine prevent me from doing this for a few day. That is will I be a bit too drugged to work ? How long should I book off . Is a week long enough?

Would like to hear from those who have had the opp and what they did? Thx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I just had a bunionectomy with metatarsal realignment on Feb. 4th. I had a nerve block which wore off the next day. Needed pain meds for about a 12 hour period and then have been taking just an NSAID for swelling. If you stay off foot elevate and ice consistently for the first 72 hours you should be able to go back to work immediately. I can't weight bear yet and need crutches but am feeling great. Good luck and stay off your foot for 72 hours! Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Hi John,

I had the Scarf Akin Bunion reconstruction done 8 weeks ago. I had very little pain from the start. I was in hospital for one night (in UK) and was given paracetamol and codeine only, to use when and if needed, on my discharge home. I just used a couple of paracetamols now and again during the first few days - then I needed nothing. Pain levels are different though; no two people are the same so you may find you need more painkillers. Apologies if this sounds sexist but men do seem to have lower pain thresholds than women.

You give the impression that you probably don't know much about the operation or what the recovery entails?  Lots of information can be found on this forum so can I suggest you read as many of the past postings as you find necessary. There are also some very interesting (graphic) videos of the various surgical procedures for Hallux Valgus on youtube. Through Google as well, there are other websites on bunion or Hallux Valgus Reconstruction.

For the first two weeks you are not allowed to do anything apart from rest a great deal and elevate your foot - higher than heart level - so working might be difficult. You are only allowed to hop to the toilet, using your crutches, so no weight bearing on that foot at all. Two weeks later you go back to the hospital to get your dressing changed and the wound/stitches checked. At six/seven weeks you can finally begin to put full weight onto that foot and begin walking again. 

A good recovery is up to each individual. Put your foot to the ground too soon and you'll find your foot will swell very quickly and the pain will become quite unbearable; worse still you might pop stitches. For some time afterwards you'll get intermittent nerve jumping also, so elevating your foot is the most sensible and comfortable position to be in. At night, you also have to keep your foot elevated in bed and also wear your surgical shoe at the same time. Not a sexy look! 

Anyway John, it is best to read up on all these things for yourself and then you'll be prepared - to be forewarned is to be forearmed, as they say. All the best. LadyPink

• Posted

Hi john I am now 12 days since operation and had first hospital appointment yesterday..I now have a nice pink cast on foot and can heel walk which means I can go back to work (office), however will not be able to drive for 8 weeks so going to work from home. I controlled pain with paracetamol which I took for first five days now on nothing.
    • Posted

Many thanks ok so no big and powerful meds required that does help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.