How my Pityriasis Rosea cleared up in under 2 weeks

Posted , 3 users are following.

Whilst living in Vietnam I noticed a small dry patch on my thigh that gradually got bigger and had a red ring around it, I left it for a couple of weeks thinking it would go away, then after some research online I was convinced it was ring worm. I started using anti fungal cream from the pharmacy but it still wouldn't go away.

After a couple more weeks a rash started to appear on my stomach, then the next day my back, then the next day my groin and finally on my upper legs and my arms. I was extremely concerned as it was getting worse and more red everyday, so I went to the hospital. After a blood test (as they initially thought I had syphillus) I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea.

I was prescribed hydrocortisone cream which I assume was for the itching despite informing them it didn't itch. Along with some expensive shower gels which I didn't buy and I told there was no cause, it wasn't contagious and it would go away by itself in 2-12weeks....

When I got home, I was relieved it wasn't something serious but confused and wanted to know more about it and more importantly how to get rid of it. I looked online for hours but didn't find much advice, other than the same thing the doctor had told me.

Although I did come across as few blogs which suggested antibiotics, so I got some from the pharmacy the next day as you can pretty much get whatever you like in the chemists in Vietnam. I took 2 a day for 3 days but stopped as I continued doing research and had read that the cause of pityriasis rosea may be related to poor gut health and a form of an auto immune disease. A lady had followed an auto immune diet (easily found on Google) and her rash had cleared up fast. At this point I was desperate to try anything to get rid of it as I kept noticing new spots every day and it was 40 degrees in Hanoi and I was too self conscious to wear clothes that exposed my rash - also I am a BIG believer that food is medicine.

So I decided to follow the diet too (loosely) - I didn't go as far as offal for breakfast, but I only drank water or tumeric tea and ate nothing but meat, fish and lots of vegetables and LOTS of kimchi for 6 days straight and moisturised my body with coconut oil around 3-4 times a day.

My rash noticeably calmed down and pretty much disappeared from my torso and arms within this week leaving just a few angry spots on my upper right thigh near the herald. The following week it had all cleared up and the herald started to fade too. I felt so relieved as I had convinced myself it would last the full 12 weeks, if not more.

I'm still not certain what or how my rash cleared up, but I strongly believe the big change in diet helped! I also read about L-lysine supplements which I purchased and took 4 every day during the 'gut cleanse' diet, so they could also have helped to clear my rash too. If you're suffering with pityriasis rosea then I really hope this helps as I was so desperate to find any information a few months ago when I was suffering with it.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.