How often are you reassessed for PIP benefits

Posted , 5 users are following.

originally awarded lifetime full mobility award 10 years ago and lowest benefit for health. 2 years ago I was reassessed by Capita and received the highest mobility award and medium benefit level.

i suffer from Arthritis in both knees and fused ankle. 3 weeks ago I had left tkr. 

Whilst I was in hospital I had a letter asking for another face to face review . How often are reassessments done.

sadly I had major problems 9 days after tkr and was readmitted to hospital and due to warfarin I had to have it reopened and all the clots washed out. I’m basically starting again with Physio.

i spoke to Capita and they said that although I’m entitled to home visit, none are available so if I don’t attend their offices I lose my benefits. 

Seems very unfair

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Simon I must admit they can seem a little officious but I suppose we have to dance to their tune, not until your knees better though smile the average PIP claimant is granted 3 years but is actually reassessed after two, are you saying you were given PIP 10 years ago ?? I don't think PIP was introduced till 2013 so your lifetime award was actually for DLA, these are two completely different benefits.

You can change your appointment once and that's it, if their saying your entitled to a home visit then that's what you should have, tell them you don't mind waiting but that you cannot attend yet as you are in hospital, maybe you could get NHS to take you in ambulance and they could do your interview in the back smile sorry be fascitious LOL

• Posted

Hi Alex,

yes it was indefinite DLA awarded 10 years ago, they did say you can change it once but that’s it, I explained that due to a total knee replacement 4 weeks ago, I can’t drive and frankly apart from going to the loo on crutches that’s all I can manage until swelling goes down in 4/5 weeks.

Capita said as they have no home availability atm they’ll send me an office appointment next week but I can only turn it down once or lose benefits 

• Posted

That's correct, if you cannot attend the first one then you can change it but if they give you another appointment and for whatever reason you are unable to attend that one then they will return your claim back to DWP and you will have to start over again, I have never come across an instance of where they say they can't give you a home visit because they have non to give!! I have known people who have been refused a home visit because their deemed capable of attending the office.

As me and Denise have both stated PIP and DLA are completely different benefits so do not compare them.

Can I ask did they approach you or did they approach you

• Posted

Should read, did they approach you or did you approach them
  • Posted

There is no average PIP award. They actually vary from person to person. People have 2,3,4,5 years with the longest being 10 years. Reviews are always done 1 year before the award ends. It depends how the person conditions affect them which determines the length of award given....at least that's how it's meant to be but there's definitely no average award length.

Your previous award which was given to you 10 years ago wouldn't have been for PIP, it would have been for DLA. Alexandria is correct, PIP wasn't introduced until April 2013. DLA and PIP are completely different and what award you have for your DLA has nothing to do with your current PIP award.

What evidence did you send for this review for your PIP? Did you send any at all? You will also need a letter from your GP stating why you can't attend the assessment and why.

Are you currently still in hospital? Is the blood clots a new condition and have you had this condition for the last 3 months at least? If not, they won't be able to take that condition into consideration. For PIP you must have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last for a further 9 months. However, if you're still in hospital then it will be impossible to attend this assessment. More info is needed to be able to help you further because you don't state if you're still in hospital or not.

• Posted

I was discharged 7 days ago once my blood thinning tablets had stabilised, I completed the forms they sent me and thankfully I have a copy of my application from 2 years ago and the reward from them explaining the awards.

like a lot of people who are disabled there are days that I don’t appear to be so and others like now where it can take 3/4 minutes to get to the loo, can’t stand for more than 3 minutes without serious pain or fear of falling.

i was surprised that the award was being reviewed so quickly.

the blood clots which were the result of knee replacement are new but the underlying arthritis knee was diagnosed a18 months ago and I didn’t think to tell PIP.

• Posted

As you say you have a copy of your current award then it clearly states at the bottom of the award the length of time and when your review will take place. It will also tell you when your award is due to end but of course reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end.

A diagnosis, makes no difference for a PIP award because for PIP it how those conditions affect you daily. With the knee replacement, if your recovery time from that is less than 9 months then any points scored in relation to that, means they won't be able to award you those points. This is because of the 9 month rule.

For the home assessment, a letter from your GP would be needed as i previously said. I must admit i've never ever heard of them saying no to a home visit simply because they don't currently have any appointments available. Are you absolutely sure that's what they told you?

Like Alexandria has said you can only cancel an appointment once, if you cancel another then your file will be returned to DWP so please think carefully.

You didn't answer my question about the evidence. Did you send any with your form this time? I don't mean from the first time you applied. Evidence will be needed this time too.

• Posted

they definitely told me they currently have no home visits available at the moment.

i didn’t send any evidence in to them apart from completing the form thoroughly. In fairness 2 years ago I didn’t send any evidence either

• Posted

I am totally an utterly amazed that you were awarded PIP 2 years ago because you didn't send any evidence. I certainly wouldn't advise you to take any chances with PIP. In my opinion you were extremely lucky to have been awarded what you have without the evidence. It's possible that they used your DLA file as evidence BUT that will NOT happen this time.

I'd urge you to take evidence with you to the assessment this time because if you don't you may not be quite as lucky. Of course it is possible that they contacted your GP/Consultant for evidence but it's extremely rare that they do this. Please gather some evidence, otherwise you may find your PIP decision not going in your favour this time.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.