How often can I move around with broken ankle

Posted , 4 users are following.

Broke my ankle a weeks ago in a temp cast until I go back to hospital tomorrow.

How often should I be sat down

How often can I move around

Can I leave the house I'm bored staying in and have a 2 year old that I can't be left alone with.

Can I go and sit at playgroup with him or go for lunch etc just to get out the house.

Any info will be great x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I would say that whatever you can do without agony is fine, if you can walk at home then you can walk outside.

Why can't you be left alone with your son??

• Posted

I have been on crutches since last September and now manage to get just about everywhere, so long as you take your time you will be fine, are you taking your Babs in a pushchair, not sure how you will push it and walk, you will probably have to do bit at a time
    • Posted

No if I go out it will b in someone's car and with someone else. I won't b going anywhere on my own until I'm healed. X

• Posted

That should be fine, make sure you push the seat well back and help your foot in to car if your struggling to get in by lifting leg up
    • Posted

Went bk today had cast changed to a lighter fibreglass one. 4 weeks then can have it off n walk straight away x
  • Posted

I was also non weight bearing for 4 weeks and felt trapped at home.  BUT it is very important that you remain NWB.  I had a knee scooter and could zip around but not do stairs except on my butt.  I also tried to follow the RICE protocol as much as possible because I didn't want ANYTHING to delay my healing.

• Posted

Nearly 2 weeks today and I feel a bit better don't seem to be getting the mad rush of blood that I was getting and I can move about more comfortably with very little to no pain bruising must be subsiding at last x

• Posted

Sounds like you're healing and doing so very quickly. Good luck.

• Posted

I too am having a Broken ankle. I get around with multiple devices. A Wheelie Cart where can turn around and sit down and drive myself backwards when don't want to use crutches. Or use a walker, when using the bathroom. I too if have to go anywhere, want someone present. I am nonweight bearing for 6 weeks, Re-evaluation with either another hard cast or a walking boot. I feel you about mobility and wanting to leave the house. My enemy are stairs. I too inside use butt scooch up and down. For outside stairs learning to use crutches. It's definitely not an easy task.

• Posted

When I was re-evaluated after 4 weeks of NWB I was told I was to go into a walking cast but I brought a high air boot with me and the doctor told me that he would allow the boot if I wore it day and night and used it at first with the walker.  He didn't want me to be able to get up in the middle of the night and walk to the bathroom without anything for support.  Over the next 4 weeks I used the walker and boot transitioning week by week to move from almost NWB on my foot to bearing weight equally between my feet while walking in the boot and no weight on my arms and walker.  I could even do stairs with the walker and boot and got to shower without plastic wrap on my cast.  WooHoo.  I was afraid I would fall with crutches and break something else!  Good luck you two.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.