How often do you need a colonoscopy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi had my colonoscopy to diagnose diverticular pouches in November 2014, not told if I would need another one or if you are even checked.  Reason for asking is I am currently have a stinging/burning pain going from left, across above belly button and to right.  Sometimes just one side, sometimes more central like now with a bit of back pain. Not sure if just a mild attack or it needs checking out.  Have really bad health anxiety and can't help thinking that iin the 2 years since my test I could not developed cancer.  Stupid I know but getting fed up with the strange pains.  When I press area around midriff it is really sore, should you be able to feel your colon etc that easily.  I do not want to say to GP I think I may have cancer in case they think I am nuts.  Thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I think for your own peace of mind, you should see your GP.  Far better to be safe than sorry.  I too feared cancer and insisted on seeing a real person, not to just be fobbed off with antibiotics by phone yet again, after my pain had persisted for more than 8 weeks.  (It was a worstening of my Diverticulitis). The doctor needs to know and feel that you have a real pain, and exactly where it is to get a proper diagnosis.  It could be any number of inflammation related conditions.  We do not have the medical knowledge that a doctor has, and it is only natural to fear the worst case scenario.  Best wishes
    • Posted

Hi, hope you feel better.  My GP just looks at me with a sigh, has a feel around, although to be honest he hardly presses so not sure what he can feel and say's at 57 most people have diverticular pouches, some people are not affected by them others are.  I have IBS which I suppose is also part of the stomach/bowel syndrome.  I have made an appointment with an older lady doctor who I hope will be more experienced.  Take care

• Posted

Thanks - the antibiotics have kicked in and I seem to be getting over this flare so should actually enjoy my holiday (carefully).  When I was examined and my tummy felt, they had to scrape me off the ceiling.  The comment was "oh, a bit tender I see".  However one thing the doctor did tell me was that Diverticulitis does not lead to bowel cancer 999 times out of a 1000.  Once before when I was examined and the pain was in an unusual place, the GP ordered a gastroscopy rather than a colonoscopy.  It turns out I also have a hiatus hernia and gastritis.  So there could well be other reasons for your pain, which is also in a higher place than normal with DD.  Good luck

• Posted

Hi thanks for coming back so quickly, that has put my mind at rest about the bowel cancer.  My pain is more of a niggle and feels a bit like someone is running side to side and pricking me with a pin!  I am really bad with anti-biotics and was given some recently due to a suspected cellulitis which turned out to a DVT so maybe they have caused a bit of gastritis as the pain does move around.  Will stop eating for a while and drink lots and see what happens.  Have a great holiday. 
  • Posted

Just go back to GP I do all the time and have scans etc to check nothing has changed when I have the pain like your having I stop eating for 24 hours They call this bowel rest plenty of water
    • Posted

Thanks, I am going to ask for another scan. I have been having lots of water and cutting out food apart from some porridge to see if this helps. Thanks
  • Posted

That is a Dr question and you need to set up an appointment immediately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.