How often should you see a rheumatologist?

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI

I was diagnosed last May with RA, and had a quick follow up appointment 3months after in Aug through private medical care. Unfortunately I then had to be referred on the NHS. I'm currently taking 200mg of Hydroxychloroquine daily following a 3 month stint of 400mg. I was advised I would need to see my rheumatologist every 3 months, and had an appointment booked in 2days time (6months after my last appointment) and have today received a cancellation letter, now rescheduled for April. I only had a blood test 4 weeks ago after drawing my Drs attention to the fact I needed more medication. I've felt so body tired and pain slowly resuming over the last 3 weeks, and took a course of steroids 2 weeks ago which I had in the cupboard, but still feel the pain, though managable with Acematin anti-inflams and pain killers. Is this the norm? - feel like I'm a DIY Dr, not sure whetehr to just wait and try to manage or is it worth trying to get into Drs. How often should you be seeing Dr/rheumatologist?

Thanks for any feedback

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ring the consultants secretary and ask her if there's any possibility of your appointment being brought forward. 
  • Posted

nicola ring the secretary or if you have a number for rheaumatolgy nursespecial.number ring them and explain they will try and get you dont if you have this facility ii do at my hosp nottm ive had RA since I was 7yrs old but thiught I grew out of it 21 but came back worst when 40 know houseboud due toes straighten and tendon op didnt work as all my toes are deform and they have all gone back worst that they was
  • Posted

depends  sometimes every three week every 6weeks kevery 3 month every 6 months kusuall if your new he see your either every three weeks when he decided on tablets paln for you see how you go but anti viral they give dont start work for 3 weeks slow reacting they have to get in your system  but they do slow the disease down you should get painkillers from gp  good luck if you have a flare up in a lot of pain or tablets upsetting they a rheaumtiod nurs you can ring asked for earlier a appoint just explainwhats wrong to her 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.