How PCOS affects us in latter years

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Guys, first diagnosed with PCOS at 42, though had symptoms for years, none were addressed, now at 73 have been hit with a horrendous weight gain, and I have no idea why. Addressed weight with diet - omitted bread potatoes rice pasta, don't drink alcohol (find it too acidic or too sweet) don't fry anything, nor eat processed food - with veg (low carbs) eat only spinach and broccoli and fruit - only berries. Meat - (hate smell of fish so not often) only turkey. GP put me on Metformin though not diabetic but no change. I now at 5 ft 2 ins weigh just under 17 stone. Have never been 16 nor 15 stone, heaviest was at 14 stone 4 lbs 18 months ago. I am devastated as fat is all over so fat face fat body and fat feet - It has changed my life as keep bumping into people who are clearly stunned. Anyone else in similar situation? Lucia

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey Lucia!

Ive been diagnosed in 2007 and been struggling with it. Some months have ups and downs some are good.

Firstly I wanted to note that once you start to gain a bit of weight, immediately try to reduce it there and then. From the time i notice a bit of weight gain to full blown 'obesity' it comes within weeks.

Reduce stress, stress for me is a key factor for weight gain not because I eat a lot but it somehow gives me imbalances and i gain weight.

I was initially put on metformin and dianette. I noticed that the dianette made me gain huge masses of weight but reduced my other symptoms such as acne and hair growth. On dianette there was no losing the weight until i got off it.

What ive found and this is the only thing thats worked for me so far is i need to reduce my weight fast then maintain constantly. Cuting carbs and eating wholemeal is great but for me that was only great to maintain.

No health professional would recommend this but i went on a liquid diet for 2 weeks. If you cant handle that then start with a week. Its extremely challenging and i have to do it once or twice a year but it works for me. Careful not to put sugars into your liquid you ingest.

Its not easy living with PCOS so be patient with yourself. With me i have so many symptoms hitting me at once and im trying to manage and maintain all of them i went from a size 12 to almost a 20 in the blink of an eye at one stage.

I hope this helps and please let me know how it goes or if its not working for you.

Nicole😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.