How quickly can kidney stones come back?,.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am recently through a procedure to remove a debris field of kidney stones. Had my stent out 10 days ago, but slowly but surely the same pain I had with the stones is returning (pain near belly button, hip, upper leg). Can stones really return so quickly?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The way I understand it is your kidneys could already have many stones, or be making them.

Some people never pass them.

And that's what's happening now, the pain begins when it leaves the kidney.

• Posted

Thanks William, I’m just surprised that I have the same discomfort as I did previously. I was hoping that I may have had some time before they came back!
  • Posted

New large stones don’t form in 10 days.  However there could be residual stones that are moving now.  Stationary stones in the kidney don’t generally cause any pain.  They need to move to the ureter.    

Keep in mind that stone size does not necessarily correlate to stone passing pain.  A smaller stone can sometimes present as much pain as a larger one.  I’ve had that happen.

A last consideration is phantom pain .  I still get that from time to time and I know other stone sufferes who also do.

• Posted

+1 for the phantom pain. I have only had one stone (so far anyways) last fall, it was 4-5mm and got stuck in the ureter(hung up on scar tissue from a kidney infection I had as a boy). Had the stone blasted. Anyway, I still get pain sometimes where the stone first left my kidney which is when I first felt pain. About 2 weeks ago, it hurt enough that it made me lightheaded. I occasionally get these twinges of sharp pain. Like harbingers of misery....reminding me to drink watersmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.